Thread: Spherical Canvas

Default Spherical Canvas

I imagine this is a long shot, but is anyone aware of an art program that allows you to work on a spherical “canvas” instead of a flat “canvas.” I do a lot of planet-wide map projects and for the past several years I’ve forced Google Earth down this road . . . it’s passable in most areas, and works very well in others, but it’s not what Google Earth is intended for. (And the final products are far from aesthetically pleasing.)

If the software has the ability to ‘unwrap’ the image as a traditional flat picture that would be great too. I am open to some sort of 3D applicable as long as I can still draw on the sphere itself.

Yowch, even the student edition is quite expensive.

Can you unwrap the sphere texture if you wish or is it stuck as an object? If I can unwrap it, so I have a standard flat image that can be easily shared, it's probably worth saving up for.

It's still nice to know I have options, thanks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This sounds like a projections matter and the tech guys know more about that stuff than I do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps