Thread: Hi everyone... mapping for a fantasy novel

Guild Novice

Default Hi everyone... mapping for a fantasy novel

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon this website while trying to find out how to create brushes in PS. I have the beginnings of an atlas which I'm trying to do in a c.1700s style.

The basis of the story has been planned, and is in a specific region on my atlas (for which I intend create a region map and some island maps). It is important that I get the regions on the "old world" right, as these will help me to plan the migration of the various countries and races to the "new world".

I don't have any place names or anything yet, as I'm currently working on a translator in Excel to transalte from any input language into my fantasy language (my first language is complete), that way I can make the place names more meaningful and consistent.

I'm looking forward to finding some great tips, and sharing my own experiences.

This is where my map is now:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/63365244@N07/5764555387/

This is what I want to come out with:

So if there is anyone that has a particular interest in this age of maps, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Tyo Solo
    Last edited by Tyo Solo; 05-27-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild. Looks like a fine start.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild... if there is anywhere you can get help on the web - its here ... just post your map in a WIP thread (work in progress) and ask for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise