Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Mosaic Tile Map in Photoshop (& GIMP)

Blog Entries

Funso - that kicks a-- ! I was just scanning this thread to look at Robs contours and came across your map. Very cool. Stick around wont ya.

I was playing around a few days ago doing some simple contours using gaussian blur and flood fill with very tight match values. Wherever you click it places rings around any shape. I was looking into putting waves into sea shapes. It works well but not as good as this. Wasn't going to comment but for Funso's great post.
    Last edited by pyrandon; 03-02-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: (mild profanity)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

great work... your tutorials rock, hopefully I'll be able to implement this tutorial once I've finished with the umpteen others I need to do can't wait to try it out

have some rep on me!

**NM... it seems I must have given you some rep recently and I must spread the wealth... but... I'm thinking of you... does that count??
    Last edited by Badger; 03-07-2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: **added text

Thanks, del! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

(And yes, the "almost rep" still means a lot to me! Thanks!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Rob if you could clarify how you used the gradient and the shaped gradient that would be great.

Sweet tut! How do I rep you?

Post Forum tip...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Gimp View Post
    How do I rep you?
    Click the "Scales" symbol at the bottom of the name/avatar space on the leftside of the post. Do this on the specific post you are "repping". A little menu will pop up, give a short reason why you are applying REP and click OK... that's it, you'll have granted "rep"!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-13-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: edit...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Click the "Scales" symbol at the bottom of the name/avatar space on the leftside of the post. Do this on the specific post you are "repping". A little menu will pop up, give a short reason why you are applying REP and click OK... that's it, you'll have granted "rep"!
    I'm getting old it seems and I am just not sure I see them... could point them out?

I do wonder if I need to increase my post count first...

EDIT: Yep I think it was a post count thing because they are there now. thanks!
    Last edited by Darth_Gimp; 03-13-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Tutorial Mini Tutorial - Using the gradient Editor in GIMP

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Gimp View Post
    Rob if you could clarify how you used the gradient and the shaped gradient that would be great.
    Sure.

First get into the gradient editor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grad1.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	2740

Right Click to get the menu and select Replicate Segment (and pick 2). This gives two duplicates of the original segment.

Name:	grad2.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	2741

Now change them so the left segment is all black and the right segment is all white. First Click on white arrow below the left side gradient to select just that segment (the bar will turn blue under the section the menu will now work with). Right Click and select "Right Endpoint Colour" and change it to black. Now select the right hand gradient portion (click the white arrow under it on the right) and change the left endpoint colour to white. You should now have a gradient made of a black bar and a white bar (I have circled the white arrow and braced the section this lets you edit by example):

Name:	grad3.png 
Views:	424 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	2742

Now decide how many bands you want. Lets say I want 10 (which will turn out to be 20 rows of tiles when the outline is stroked). Select both segments (shift click on the white triangles of both segment) then right click Replicate section and set the slider to 10. Now you get this:

Name:	grad4.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	2744

To use it, just set the gradient tool to use Shaped (Angular) (and dial up the supersampling). It will fill a selection with the gradient following the
    selection shape. You will get the ful gradient (10 stripes) from the edge to the "center" of the largest space. Here is an exmaple:

Name:	grad5.png 
Views:	592 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	2743

Now select the black (or white) with the Select by Colour Tool and perform a Edit->Stroke Selection with the tile brush!

Like I said, this is a bit of a workaround for gimp, as I believe photoshop lets you dynamically scale gradients. Gimp does not on any of the "Shaped" gradient fills.

Hope that helped!

-Rob A>

I'm utterly enamoured with the idea of drawing a mosaic map. One of the reasons I joined this site was to try out some new things, and this is certainly one of the things I'm going to try.

However, I'm a total tinkerer, so I'll probably ignore the tutorial about halfway through, but it looks like it'll be a perfect start to trying out a new mapping style.

Thanks for the tutorial, it rocks! -- I'll post whatever I come up with later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapimeses View Post
    I'm utterly enamoured with the idea of drawing a mosaic map. One of the reasons I joined this site was to try out some new things, and this is certainly one of the things I'm going to try.

However, I'm a total tinkerer, so I'll probably ignore the tutorial about halfway through, but it looks like it'll be a perfect start to trying out a new mapping style.

Thanks for the tutorial, it rocks! -- I'll post whatever I come up with later.

Thank you for the compliment, Andy, and I'm pleased you found this idea interesting enough to someday try. Like you, I'm an incessant tinkerer too, so I know what you mean about using tutorials as only guides; please let me know if your play leads you to new techniques or improved methods, too.

Take care, & I look forward to your shot at this.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Thank you for the compliment, Andy, and I'm pleased you found this idea interesting enough to someday try. Like you, I'm an incessant tinkerer too, so I know what you mean about using tutorials as only guides; please let me know if your play leads you to new techniques or improved methods, too.

Take care, & I look forward to your shot at this.
    Well, it's been a fun draw. I'm pretty much finished (I'd been tinkering for a wee while when I made my last post). I started by following your tutorial pretty closely, but found I wanted a little more freedom, so started to freehand everything rather than use the suggested brush options. What I've ended up with looks pretty similar to yours, so perhaps I'd've been best sticking with your brush all the way to the end.

I'll post the map after I've tinkered a bit longer. I'm pretty pleased with the end result, and it'll join the rest of my roleplaying group's Warhammer maps (I did a map of Tilea, for anyone that knows WFRP).

Anyway, I'll be back soonish.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast