Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: [Award Winner] Mosaic Tile Map in Photoshop (& GIMP)

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Praise

Excellent tutorial.! Have to give it a try soon.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I can't believe I didn't notice this before.

I was looking through and pondering, I'll have to give this a go. i see a few thngs i might do differently, such as turning the text layers into smart objects before I start working on them, but the steps after that might make it redundant. Still, worth a try (after I finish my current map)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I just came across this tut also - amazing. The trickery! Looks like real tiles !

Hi, I've been slaving over some mosaic replica artwork recently, drawing each tile by hand using vector paths. I couldn't find any other way of getting a genuine looking finish without hand drawing 20-30,000 tiles and going through several Wacom nibs! This tutorial is an absolute God-send. I have just started working on a mosaic map and I stumbled across this at the perfect moment, It's going to save me so much time and will hopefully allow better results as I can produce more pieces. Thank you so much, I'm deeply grateful (and so is my wacom).

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I don't see any images

This tutorial is super cool!

I unexpectedly featured this tut on my livestream the other night. Mars shared ?her? map entry with me. Awesome stuff, that. I'm going to have to try this for some flooring in a future map.

I'll resist making a spider queen inlay in my July contest entry, Mars. Also, apologies if you are not a guy and I said "man" or "dude" or some such. I try to be mindful but sometimes make assumptions...especially with those that take gods of war for their nicknames.

Good tutorial, nice work !

So I followed this tutorial (with RobA's hints on how to do it in GIMP), but I made a few tweaks. I just made my own brush with custom gradient to get the randomness I wanted. I also used RobA's suggestion for the black and white gradients to fill the shape, then using the same gradient, but set to radial, I did the sea as a a circle. Considering this only took me an hour to make (including brushes) I am pretty happy with the results. It needs a lot more detail and stuff, but it was fun to try out this new method. (new to me at least)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiled.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	782.3 KB 
ID:	94241

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456