Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Make Maps series on YouTube/Twitch.tv

Tutorial Let's Make Maps series on YouTube/Twitch.tv

Hey, guys! I've started doing a series called Let's Make Maps on my YouTube channel. The first couple of episodes are up and I've now formalized my schedule a little so we should have a new episode every Friday...or a make-up episode if I miss that for some reason.

I'll post the links to the episodes here as they go live. YT subs, Twitch follows, likes, and comments are much appreciated as they help me reach more people and let me find out what you think, in the case of the two latter actions.

Here's the complete Let's Make Maps playlist.

EP02 - Making a fantasy town map! (Livestream)
    EP01 - An intro to map-making in Photoshop!
    EP00 - Welcome and introduction!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMM-Thumbs.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	84552
    Last edited by mearrin69; 06-19-2016 at 04:59 AM.

Good Idea. I like it.

Oh. We can add videos! Here's the recorded Livestream, now on YouTube.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Looking good!

I kind of watched through it, at double speed and skipped through a bit. But it looks great! I'm sure it will be very helpful for beginners, and if I try a map in that style, for me! I'll try to watch through them.
    Hopefully I can try a map in that style sometime.

Out of curiosity did you get any watching live?

This deserves rep!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wonderful tutorial. This technical trickery (and seriously, this is actual witchcraft) is just the thing for the artistically challenged (like me). Two requests though: 1080p and links in the description. The former should make it easier to see text and details on screen, and the latter adds professionalism and means I don't have to scrub through the video with my awful internet to find out where you got your textures from or where to download a particular program etc.

I've downloaded city gen and GIMP and I'm off to give this a go! Awaiting the next episode to see what else we can get up to.

Hmm. I'm trying to follow along using GIMP, and seems that GIMP lacks some features rather critical to this brand of wizardry. Select all on layer doesn't seem to exist, or I'm just being dense, and even a script that is supposed to make that work fails me. Worse, layer styles aren't a thing. Layer effects can be done via a script, but their parameters can't be changed afterwards (afaik) and textures can't be resized.

Anyone intimately acquainted with GIMP able to lend a hand?

Good point on links in the description. I'll try to round up everything and put them in.

On GIMP. Yeah. I thought there might be some issues with that. Even PS Elements might lack some of the features needed. Tell you what, after I finish this one I'll do another using GIMP and maybe one using PS Elements as well. We'll see what I can do with those tools.

On 1080p...I'll look at it. I can certainly up it for the pre-recorded content. Bigger issue is with the streamed content...as Twitch.tv doesn't really make it easy for non-partners to stream at better than 720p. To be a partner you have to have regular 500 viewer averages or come in with 100k YT subs. I don't have either of those, unfortunately.

Thanks everybody for your interest and for watching. Much appreciated!
    M

In the meantime I've picked up the free trial of Creative Cloud, giving me 7 days to play around with my map in Photoshop.

Here's the generated map

Name:	town test 3 share.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	84613
    I decided to increase the width of the river, though it seems I neglected the city wall.

and here's the current iteration:

Name:	town 3 export.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	84615
    I'm still really unhappy with the shrubbery layer but will revisit that after I've looked at trees. A good undergrowth texture seems to be hard to find. I'm also considering redoing those roads, fixing the roads first on the road layer rather than confusedly working on two separate layers, neither of which is then selectable via the base layer.

The graphic designer in my life has also kindly directed me to http://texturelib.com for additional textures.

Would you like followers to post their work here, or as separate WIP threads?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast