Thread: Legacy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Legacy

First post, first map, lots of firsts and a good chance I'm in way over my head, but here goes.

Legacy is a RP setting, the work of a Mage building a home of his own to retire into and escape a previous existence. Of course he gets bored and populates it, just to see what happens, and so my setting begins. It is an ambitious project, and I doubt it is it's final incarnation but i intend to fill this land with people, tribes, eventually citys, all in game. It will be the work of several Game Masters and over the years dozens, if not hundreds of Players.
    Unless the world is destroyed within its first few games then I'll be updating this with locations established, towns, valleys, whatever. As it's created it will be posted here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandMap2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1,021.3 KB 
ID:	36103

I think RobA, Arsheesh and Ascension are responsible for most of the techniques used so far, if anyone else can see elements that I have used that should be credited to other artists could you alert me so i can add at least a reference, since I could not have got anywhere without the experienced members already on this site.

Legacy being a work in progress, and nothing is really set in stone so far I would love to hear suggestions and advice from others, and I really hope some of the advice happens to be names, After all, i just called a planet "Legacy" i would hope to avoid as many clichés as can.
    (Also what are the attachment rules? I somehow cannot find them and I think the files I have might be a little... Huge)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good start you got going. .. and a few criticisms ... the forests are rather shiny. The country/land is rather blurry in contrast to the forests... but you got some nice shapes going - keep working on that... and of course, when you get far enough, throw in a border, measuring stick and a compass (I got some in my signature if you don't have yourself). Keep up the good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would second the good start. I would also add that your forests are all very "regular" in shape. you could try to add individual trees to the edges to break up some of that regularity. Keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to watching this progress.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Then my next steps are to either sharpen the land or blur the forest, create a brush to roughen up said forest then to add rivers. Right, to the archives.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might also consider softening/lightening the shadow on the forests. It seem very heavy & dark to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Then again, this is a freshly-created artificial world. The mage might have liked clearly-defined borders to the forests. You might want to keep them bold and hard-edged to begin with and give them a more naturalistic look after the history has run a few centuries.