Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mydresia

Blog Entries

Default Mydresia

Hey there, this is a WIP of the continent of Mydresia, done as a commission for Malken for his novels... http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...al-Looking-Map!

The full view at 50% size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mydresia - forests 2.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	35910

A detail view at 100%

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mydresia detail.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	35911

Still to do: Swamps, deserts, a few bits and bobs such as a canyon and a few labels.

Again, this is a commission so no unauthorised usage please.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Ramah you've got such a great hand-drawn style! I always love drinking in your vibrant maps. I like how you've given the terrain features the impression of being embossed within the map, it gives the map a sense of dimension. However while it is easy to pic out details up close, from afar that embossed impression seems to obscure the features that it is meant to highlight. For instance, in the first pic, I can't really tell what all the squiggly patterns are on the map unless I zoom in. My suggestion would be to play around with the depth and/or opacity filters of your light map (or bump map, or whatever), toning things down just a tad. However you do whatever you feel to be best.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Hmm, not sure which squiggly bits you mean. The forests? Or maybe the paper texture showing through?

I don't actually use any embossing btw.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

I was referring to the forests. I thought that you had used some form of light map or bump map or perhaps had embossed them, but now that I look at them more closely, that may just be an illusion achieved by your hand-drawn use of light and shadow. However the detail is really only obscured in the thumbnails; when the map is enlarged it becomes apparent that you are rendering forests.

Absloutly wonderful. So ...rich. Its the best work I can find for it.

Whoa, now that is epic. Why must you be so talented and bring such so much awesome to this site, I must have your talent! Envy/awe /

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

very nice man.
    Who is John Galt?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

beautiful as usual Ramah, love your mountain style ... can't wait to see it finished
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Cheers guys.

Ravs, no, full size is 4800 * 3800 ish.

Finished map posted up here btw... http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...394#post154394

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast