Thread: My game project...

Guild Apprentice

Wip My game project...

Hey

Well i been hard at work for about 4 months now making a mmo on a fantasy world...i have a screenshot applied of some test stuff - its all v.low graphic end till i get a graphics artist most of it is pulled off the net for me to test things.

But im aiming to make nice overview maps for players for when they get lost they load up the map and see where they are in the "fantasy world" the game will be free to play too

Any suggestions of map style i should use that would suit a mmo theme i liked WoW old ancient paper style but also considered a more realistic looking map but not sure =/

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe nice ... lots of graphics that goes into a game so you better start looking for your artist soon ... I like the semi-realistic-cartoony art work for games - but sometimes a totally different style is what wins you over. The grass is a little dominating in this picture - it is making the characters dissapear a little.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Apprentice

I agree - im going to go for a less textured grass and have more uniform in colour without the grass strands once i find a nice texture. V.tough to get it not to look repetitive tis the issue - the slightest change in the tiles texture becomes obvious when you repeat it loads on a map.

Blog Entries

You will need a larger texture for it not to look repeated unless your game engine supports semi transparent tiles and you can layer more than one. If you can do that and you can have slightly bigger or smaller tiles repeated then you can use the effect to eliminate all the repeating. If you cannot support it and have to have small tiles then all the features on the tile need to be very small in comparison to the tile size which may mean one or two pixels. So grainy green may be the best you can do.

Guild Apprentice

Yeah i can change grid size but what size is right without it being too big that it ends up being alot to load...=/ ...seems alot of people go for 64 by 32 but i find it too small quite often.

Course that then comes to how the heck you make nice textured tiles that work seamless - still stuff i ain't understood fully yet.