Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New style try-out

Default New style try-out

Been messing around a bit with brushes to come up with some new style. The landshape and compass were inspired by Terry Marandas Daedonas map and the cartouche by tolkiens map. All textures are handpainted (except for the background parchment). The waves/woodwork need some work and I think the compass does not really fit in (yet). Also figuring out how to label this properly. Anyway, not sure if I will finish this, but I think it got potential as a style, so who knows I'll do one "for real" like this. cheers, DJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrightRegional.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	36131  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like what I see so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

That looks really good. I especially like your mountain regions and map texture.

Tyo
    The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing.
    - Henry S. Haskins -

WOW!!!! That is amazing!!!!

I was going to leave it at that but as it's a new style you're trying out, I went and checked your current/old style...

WOW!!!! That's even MORE amazing!!!!

I can see why, as brilliant as it is, you consider this one to be an unfinished piece.
    The ongoing sketchpad - Craig's Sketchpad (NEW)
    Design and web services - CJ Productions
    All the latest at my personal blog - Craig John
    Photoshop Training Podcast - Graphic Basics (currently on hold)

I think you should drop the fill and maybe opacity on the coastlines.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you could do those mountains hatched instead of shaded you'd have something like those old 19th century bird's eye view maps. I think those are outstanding and you're on the verge of it. Well done, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

thanks guys, indeed the coasts may need some work although I like the sketchy look of them (apart from the wood-work-waves). I tried some extra line-work on the mountains before to fit them in, but it didn't work. But hatching the shadows may be exactly what is needed (Thanks A, you really have a keen eye on this). I never hatched before so I did some first try. It's a pretty nasty technique to learn. I think it could take years to really understand what you're doing. Anyway, my first hatch cheers, DJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrightRegional2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	36139  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're totally right about learning hatching, I've been trying since I was about 10. Your basic lines work well at this scale to sort of imply hatching, though, so...good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good djespek, nice style indeed and as Ascension said reminds me of the 19th century maps... keep up the good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It my not be fully developed yet DJ, but it's a lovely style!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast