Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not named yet (Hand-drawn, Photoshop); Work in Progress

Default Not named yet (Hand-drawn, Photoshop); Work in Progress

Name: Not named yet
    Size: 2000 x 1333
    Style: Hand-drawn map
    Software: Photoshop CS5 with brushes
    Font: Dominican

This is my first attempt to make a good and a serious map.
    So, in the attachment you can see the first draft of my 'work'. It is not so detailed and I'm going to refine some part of the coastline and, perhaps, going to add some minor islands.
    There is not so much to judge, but now you can take a first look to the map
    Oh, my language is not english but I'm going to make text and names in english

EDIT: Oh, obviously I've got a story behind this, but it's too long to explain, and as said before, doing it in english will be a hard work.

Here you go:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not named yet.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	731.8 KB 
ID:	36191
    Last edited by Gan; 05-31-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the Ocean of Not Named Yet...reminds me of one of the chapters in Monty Python's Holy Grail. The map looks pretty good so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A stupid problem I can't solve is the making of rivers. What does of these two look better?
    Also, a general little update (some names added, coastline adjusted).
    Oh, can a mod or an admin change title to "Geas Kia (Hand-drawn, Photoshop); WIP"

Name:	Geas Kia.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	748.1 KB 
ID:	36214

River 2 is better in case of overall style.

Here we go for another update.
    I almost finished the "Kia Peninsula".
    I ask to experts: what do you think of this? (Be honest, lol, I know it's terrible.)

Views:	225 
Size:	713.4 KB 
ID:	36252

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's not terrible. I really love that parchment; that's one that I've used quite a bit recently, and it can make almost any map look fantastic.

My two gripes are the rivers and the text. The rivers look cool, but they also look out-of-scale on this map. They look like 100-mile wide rivers that just suddenly terminate, with no tapering. I think they'd be more suited to a relatively close-up regional map instead of a larger-area map like this.

As for the text, I like the font you've used, but in some places it's hard to read over the icons, especially in places like the Zen Mountains. Also, you might try changing the font to a different size for some of the bodies of water. Geas Sea - looks too small for the amount of space it's naming, while Gulf of Phal - far too big, overlaps the land around it.

Overall though, the layout is cool, that parchment overlay works really well with the brushes and sea color, and I like a lot of the names - really different and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The rivers look cool, but they also look out-of-scale on this map. They look like 100-mile wide rivers that just suddenly terminate, with no tapering. I think they'd be more suited to a relatively close-up regional map instead of a larger-area map like this.
    I tried different versions of a river, but I couldn't make any of them better than the actual one. I know: they're very large in a map like this.

As for the text, I like the font you've used, but in some places it's hard to read over the icons, especially in places like the Zen Mountains. Also, you might try changing the font to a different size for some of the bodies of water. Geas Sea - looks too small for the amount of space it's naming, while Gulf of Phal - far too big, overlaps the land around it.
    At start I was trying to make all text in the same size, but I quickly realized it would be impossible. I will adjust all of them

Overall though, the layout is cool, that parchment overlay works really well with the brushes and sea color, and I like a lot of the names - really different and unique.
    Thanks for the names And obviously thanks for replying! I'm going to remake the text; next the rivers. Thanks so much

EDIT: I shouldn't ask this ()... anyone have some hints on how to do good rivers?
    Last edited by Gan; 06-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Practice. The more rivers you draw the better you get. I always start with a large red brush and put in some guide rivers. Then I lower the opacity, make a new layer, and go back with a tiny black brush and draw the main river, then the main branches, then the minor branches, and erase the red guide river. But I always put in way more rivers than need be...I can't seem to limit myself to just main rivers and branches. I seem to have this compulsion to put in every single creek and after 20 hours of drawing rivers I get burned out on it and often never finish the darn map. The other thing you can do is look at lots of satellite pictures to get the hang of how they bend and widen out in places.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The other thing you can do is look at lots of satellite pictures to get the hang of how they bend and widen out in places.
    I was going to do this...

Thanks for the hints. As you said, I have to practice a lot.
    For the text, I hope I solved the problem making it red/dark-red and adding a white alone around it.

Guys, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Little update here.
    I think I solved the font problem, check it from yourselves guys
    Perhaps the stroke is too big, what do you think?

Also, I tried this method for rivers, but it seems awful. The path of the river go through symbols and I couldn't solve this stupid problem
    I'm going to experiment various style for the rivers, but them all seems terrible - to me.

Here's attachment.

Views:	140 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	36273

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast