Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EastHaven Port - WIP

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected wynn's Avatar

Steel General: Thanks!
    Gluhoded: I used a lot of references for the veg. and the fields. I stared at quite a few maps, to see how the tree lines were placed in between fields. And basically, I created a "tree" brush that put down scattered color, then used a pattern to fill in the so it gave it the tree texture. For the fields, I basically color sampled satellite images of farms from google maps, used different brushes to add some variation to the colors, then applied a couple distortion filters on it to give it a painted type look. Most of the techniques I'm using on this map have been done through trial and error while making the map itself... but when I'm done I'd be happy to make a tutorial for you guys if you'd like, to show how I did a few things..

Should have an update either tonight or tomorrow!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

amazing. How do you get such smooth borders without using vector lines? Unless you're using the pen tool in PS? The fields are beautiful - I'm also working on a large scale port city, and this gives me some much needed inspiration. Looking forward to the updates!

Hey, this is looking great! I look forward to seeing your updates. I feel almost inspired to attempt a city myself, hehe.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected wynn's Avatar

Small update here, just plotting out some of the roads and I replaced the green in the city area.

RjBeals, Thanks I appreciate it! Well, for the walls I used a pen tool, and then applied a stroke to it. And then for the roads and other things it's just a very steady hand and my Wacom tablet I also erase and redraw a lot lol. I'm drawing the buildings using the line tool but with a thickness around 4-10.

Jaxilon, Thanks! You should, I think theyre a lot of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easthavenport.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	973.5 KB 
ID:	36274

Wow! This is a gorgeous map! I am looking forward to seeing more of this!

Absolutely stunning! I love the fields and the texture of the water. And all the rest.
    Inspiring and depressing at the same time I'm looking forward to the final work!
    Fantastische Kartographie - illustrations & maps by Schattenherz | DeviantArt | Drachenblut - german RPG board & world

Guild Novice

Such an amazing piece of art! Your attention to detail and the thought that you must have put in to this makes this map just mind blowingly cool!
    Sorry I'm kindof geeking out about it

Really, really fine work. I look forward to seeing it grow over time!

I am feeling the envy, it really looks nice.

I think it's fascinating that you painted the wakes created by the bridge supports before the bridges themselves. I was trying to figure out if those were supposed to be rapids or waterfalls, and then I noticed that they coincided with the road network.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast