Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Islayander - WIP:Refining a technique

Default Islayander - WIP:Refining a technique

Been working on commissions when I have had the time/energy but I just had to go through the steps I have been using for a style I am working on so I didn't forget them and here is the result.

Still tweaking but I hope eventually this technique will come out the way I want.

The one area I'm looking at most critically is the coastlines. Not so much the undersea area but the actual edge of the land. So I guess I need some feedback at this point.

The idea here is along the size of Madagascar, maybe a bit smaller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Islayander.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	36205  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That mountain is beautiful :]

Thanks, maybe I should think about creating the entire island as the mountain and then just highlighting the area I want for the peak...hmmm. I may try that next time.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Novice

Nice work,

I also like the mountain. The rest looks a bit flat untill now. Maybe you add some bump to the coastline.
    For my taste the difference between light and dark is a bit to much on this map, particulary at the sea and the mountain.

Hey that's looking terrific Jax! Haven't seen much of your recent work, so it's nice to get a peak at what you're up to.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

I'll go against the other and say I like the mountain least on it. It's a very stylistic style you've got there with the oceans and the forests etc. but that mountain is totally at odds with it, being all shiny and visibly patterned. Personally I would prefer to see something as bold as your other elements.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Default A fork in the road - take it!

I started working on more texture for the rest of the piece and after Ramah made his point (which I'm thinking is right) I also toned down the mountain so as to better go with the rest.

Here are both results. I'm going to work and I'll look at them later to try and figure which direction I like best.

Name:	IslayanderT.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	554.8 KB 
ID:	36250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IslayanderS.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	515.3 KB 
ID:	36251  

Hm, I respect Ramah's opinion, but for what it's worth, I still prefer the earlier version.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm indifferent to the mountain, my thing is the forests. I like the first one. The new ones look like they don't fit somehow. Maybe it's the dark stroke around them that resembles a hand-drawn element or maybe it's a scale thing in that they look too big compared to the mountain. I dunno, just looks odd. If you like it then disregard.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Added some labalage so it feels more finished

Name:	Islayander.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	571.6 KB 
ID:	36407  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast