Thread: Hedda World Map (for my book) WIP

Wip Hedda World Map (for my book) WIP

Hello there, everyone. It's been a while since I last posted a map here...
    Anyways, this map shows the world of HEDDA (which simply means 'World' or 'The world' in this case.), which is the world that my book takes place in.
    I still haven't written much, but I know what's supposed to happen in the book and I've figured out many of the characters, which is HARD if you want them to be
    believable and realistic in any way and not just cardboard cut-out stereotypes.

the map is still very much a work in progress. It would be awesome if someone with real talent would do a version of their own of this map.

I hope you like it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 huge planet 61.png 
Views:	2022 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	36218

Edit: Any city named "Tel Mon" or "Tel Kara" or anything else with "Tel" in the name is a city with a harbour. "Tel" simply means harbour.
    If one is to be literal, the word "Tel" really means "sea" but in this context it tells the reader that the city is by water and that it has a harbour.
    The word "Tel" thus has different meanings depending on how it's used.
    Last edited by Aenigma; 06-01-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added a description of a fictional word.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Guild Novice

God dag Aenigma,

For your book I wish you three things - discipline, discipline and discipline :-)

I like these two colored maps.
    Mountains and fonts look good.
    But somehow I don't like the outlines of your continents. Like in the northeast they look a bit to jagged in my opinion.
    The borderlines of your country I would straighten a bit. At some points they look a bit too detailed. But that's just my thinking.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is very impressive.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Interesting to look at and it looks like a lot of work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks folks ^^

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really like this map, the landmasses are cool. Style is simple but it works great for this one. Only suggestion: Rivers/borders etc do not have enough contrast to me, I find it easy to confuse them with each other, since they stand out so much from the bright white. Are you still working on it? Would be a shame to let it stagnate.

I think your world will be heaven for the marine merchants and will see a lot of naval warefare, if you nations are not peacefull. The shape of the continents is amazing, there are just so many places for naval blockades .

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Really like this map, the landmasses are cool. Style is simple but it works great for this one. Only suggestion: Rivers/borders etc do not have enough contrast to me, I find it easy to confuse them with each other, since they stand out so much from the bright white. Are you still working on it? Would be a shame to let it stagnate.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm still working on it. I've tried several different ways of making the borders stand out. On an older map I did (I think you can see it on my deviantart. Darkaiz.deviantart) I made the borders look like a bunch of cheeze doodles (google it) in bright orange. The borders were clear but it was quite time-consuming.

Edit: Here's a small update Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 huge planet 65.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	36436
    Last edited by Aenigma; 06-10-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added the image