Thread: Old Mountain/ Cliff symbol resource

Default Old Mountain/ Cliff symbol resource

Hello,
    I was wondering if there were any resources that would make mountains
    or cliffs like this old example? I typically use Photoshop and Illustrator.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtn example.png 
Views:	798 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	36222  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could do this by making a path, stroke the path with a small brush to create the darker ridge/outline, then create a new slope-lines brush (in a new document). To create the new brush make a line about 20 tall X 1 or 2 pixels wide. Click edit - define brush preset. Go into the brushes menu and pick the new brush. Increase the spacing to 200 or 300% or more and set the angle jitter to direction and then save this as a new brush and delete the previous one. Now, create a new layer and stroke the path again. This will work best if the path you make is a closed path, like a shape, and here's why - your slope line brush will make slope lines on either side of the path so you have to delete the lines on the "inside" so if you have a closed shape path you can turn the path into a selection (on the paths tab) then use the selection and the delete key instead of nit-picky erasing minute little bits at close zoom. So you will now have the outline and the slope lines all the way around so if you want an open end, take an eraser and erase.

Another option would be to create a bush that has the scallop dark ridge line and some slope lines and stroke a path with that but your path will have to be a bit wider than you initially draw since stroking the path runs right down the middle.

Or you could just use a 3-pixel round brush and draw a bunch of lines by hand...either way is tedious.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-01-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You could do this by making a path, stroke the path with a small brush to create the darker ridge/outline, then create a new slope-lines brush (in a new document). To create the new brush make a line about 20 tall X 1 or 2 pixels wide. Click edit - define brush preset. Go into the brushes menu and pick the new brush. Increase the spacing to 200 or 300% or more and set the angle jitter to direction and then save this as a new brush and delete the previous one. Now, create a new layer and stroke the path again. This will work best if the path you make is a closed path, like a shape, and here's why - your slope line brush will make slope lines on either side of the path so you have to delete the lines on the "inside" so if you have a closed shape path you can turn the path into a selection (on the paths tab) then use the selection and the delete key instead of nit-picky erasing minute little bits at close zoom. So you will now have the outline and the slope lines all the way around so if you want an open end, take an eraser and erase.

Another option would be to create a bush that has the scallop dark ridge line and some slope lines and stroke a path with that but your path will have to be a bit wider than you initially draw since stroking the path runs right down the middle.

Or you could just use a 3-pixel round brush and draw a bunch of lines by hand...either way is tedious.
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. I also like the water line work from the era.

Thanks for your help. It works pretty well depending on the scale.