Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spelljammer Map of the Flow (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Wip Spelljammer Map of the Flow (WIP)

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here goes...

Sometime ago I produced this map of the flow, I've recently started work on updating it, with the intention of being as close to the original sources as I can get, while adding as many fan-created spheres as possible.
    Here are my current versions (as of 01/12/2012):
    Complete PDF version
    (still no SVG version this time - mut not that much has changed.)

PDF version that only shows 'known' areas

Older versions can be found here

The actual map is in layers, I plan to produce several versions; a 'player's map' showing only known spheres and rivers, and a 'gm's map' showing unknown features as well, other versions maybe possible as well. I'm hoping I will eventually be able to produce a single pdf with multiple 'layers' - eventually.

Charles
    Last edited by Nerik; 12-01-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Updated link to current version 01/12/12

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome, I love spelljammer, I can't say how "accurate" this map is but it sure looks like the best SJ universe map I have seen yet.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Awesome, I love spelljammer, I can't say how "accurate" this map is but it sure looks like the best SJ universe map I have seen yet.
    Thanks, I'm trying to match canon as much as possible (travel times are mostly derived from the novels, mostly by Paul Westermeyer), and fanon where I'm using pre-existing fan-works (and I am, a lot).

Ok, an update - put the Illithid spheres back in, plus flow direction arrows.

Last edited by Nerik; 06-20-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed link

Guild Apprentice

Further slight update, I've added a SVG version - I've got a problem with font conversion ATM, which I'll look into soon.

Blog Entries

Cool - saved for the (unfortunately unlikely) case that I might some day run a SJ game.
    Could I get my Arth sphere on to it too, even if it's kind of an alternate Sj setting?

http://enderra.com/worlds/arth-space-spelljammer/

Should probably be a little out-of-way, maybe somewhere around Nivil?

Guild Apprentice

Cool - saved for the (unfortunately unlikely) case that I might some day run a SJ game.
    Could I get my Arth sphere on to it too, even if it's kind of an alternate Sj setting?

http://enderra.com/worlds/arth-space-spelljammer/

Should probably be a little out-of-way, maybe somewhere around Nivil?
    Ok, I'll see if I can fit it in (its a rather large sphere, even if I put the sphere boundary just outside the oort cloud). Your alternative phlogiston mechanics can be (partially) integrated into a more conventional Spelljammer game using the same trick they used in Hackjammer - once your ship is past a certain distance from the sun (or whatever is in the sphere centre) you can open a portal into the flow (IIRC this has been proposed for Mystaraspace as well).
    Are you aware of The Piazza? - they have an active Spelljammer community there (and several members post here - for instance Big Mac, who set up the Spelljammer group).

And Thanks!

Blog Entries

Oh I am fine if you put it in as a small sphere, after all the map you have is not proportional either, right? I'd just like to be "on the map", really.

And I have heard of the Piazza, mainly because Big Mac was asking spelljammer stuff here a long time ago, but I doubt I should start to follow yet another forum.

Guild Apprentice

Oh I am fine if you put it in as a small sphere, after all the map you have is not proportional either, right? I'd just like to be "on the map", really.
    Well, the spheres should be to scale (1mm = 1 billion miles - if you print it out at A0 size!) Distances in the flow are 'kind-of' proportional, according to The Broken Sphere the thickness of the river (as shown on a map) is proportional to its 'speed' (although this begs a question or two).

Which raises a general question - should I split bi-directional rivers into two? (it might make some places a bit cluttered though).

And I have heard of the Piazza, mainly because Big Mac was asking spelljammer stuff here a long time ago, but I doubt I should start to follow yet another forum.
    Ok, can I post a link to you site on The Piazza? I'm sure some of them might find it interesting.

Guild Apprentice

And another update to the SVG version - I re-arranged a few things, moved some more spheres in, and, where a flow river has a travel duration, the thickness of the line represents its 'speed'.
    Last edited by Nerik; 06-11-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added detail

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nerik View Post
    Well, the spheres should be to scale (1mm = 1 billion miles - if you print it out at A0 size!) Distances in the flow are 'kind-of' proportional, according to The Broken Sphere the thickness of the river (as shown on a map) is proportional to its 'speed' (although this begs a question or two).
    Ah, I see. - Well, I can easily work in an "alternate cosmology" which makes the Arth "sphere" better to handle.

Which raises a general question - should I split bi-directional rivers into two? (it might make some places a bit cluttered though).
    This iwll probably clutter the map up a lot.

Ok, can I post a link to you site on The Piazza? I'm sure some of them might find it interesting.
    Oh but of course! I post my stuff on the 'net so others may enjoy it (hopefully).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast