Thread: The World of Omyar - WIP

Wip The World of Omyar - WIP

Hi everyone. I decided to begin a new thread for the main map of my current world project: Omyar (the name is subject to change...). I already presented some work about that in another thread, but I prefer to make a separate one for this map, which will be the map of the complete world.

A quick presentation of the basic idea: this is a flat world, shaped like a sort of bowl, with two main water bodies: the Outer Ocean and the Inner Sea. At the center, the Isle of Gods and the Orb, the analog of the sun/moon, at the periphery, the Warding Ring, where all sort of strange things dwell, and between, the Land, were, well... the people live. There are nine main Gods and nine people, each with a society based on a important role: the Merchants, the Warriors, the Judges, the Artists, the Craftmen, the Physicians, the Mages, the Travellers and the Hunters.

The size is roughly that of the Earth, the diameter of the world being about 14500 km (that's about 4px for 10km).

I'm currently laying the geophysical features, all comments/advices are most welcome. I shaded for now some of the center-down-left mountains, and I'm quite skeptic about the final aspect. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omyar.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	36260

I tried blurring a bit the mountains, here's the result...

Name:	OmyarF.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	36261

Apart my current misgivings about shading the mountains and hills, my main concern is the forests. Would any of you have any idea about a way to draw them (the mountains are already very small, so I can't possibly draw actual trees...).

(Oh, and if someone spots a bizarre thing -river police?- tell me. Apart some floating rocks at the periphery, everything should be in accordance with physics - well, if physics can tolerate a flat world...)
    Last edited by Eochaid; 06-02-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Guild Novice

My forests are always six or seven large trees, drawn from a side view, in different colors, then shrunk into a texture and copied or brushed on; gives a symbolic rather than topographical look. I've never been satisfied by aerial textures. You COULD lift a texture out of google earth, i guess, and just mess with it a little.

Guild Novice

Also I would hate to be a player stuck on that ring without a ship

Wip

Well, a quick update for today's work. I did the texture of the hills and mountains (I find it a little too rough, but that'll have to do). I didn't make the rim, though, It'll be for later.

Next step: forests. I'll try DickNixonArisen's solutions, but I'm not convinced... well, we'll see!

Name:	OmyarRelief.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	36279

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty darn good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Thanks!

First version for forests and swamps... I hope one recognises which is what.

Name:	OmyarGeo.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	36290

Still nothing on the Rim, though; I hope I'll have the guts to do it someday.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hrm, forests look a little weak. The mountains have strong bold lines and shading but the forests come out kind of thin and puny. The general shapes and placement seems fine, just thicken up the lines and darken the shading.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Hey, most true. This is indeed way better. thanks for the advice. New version:

Name:	OmyarGeo.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	36291

I don't want to darken too much the forests, though. This should suffice.