Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: NK004 III (Inari)

Default May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: NK004 III (Inari)

The NeoKosmos Celestial Body Catalog is a project to catalog all objects of interest in the Shuriken Galaxy, a dwarf spiral galaxy approximately 9800 ly in diameter, with an average disk thickness of 150 ly, and a bulge thickness of 420 ly. The galaxy is rich in gas and dust; although it has a mass of about 600 million suns, half of this mass is dark matter, and over 90% of the remaining mass is gas and dust, the remaining matter being found in nearly 50 million stars, with an average mass slightly above 0.5 suns. It is classified as a Dwarf SAb galaxy, or a kS2 under the Yerkes scheme. It has five well-defined spiral arms, labeled Alpha through Epsilon.

The NK004 system is located on the Beta arm, 3438 ly from galactic center. Under IAU definitions, the system has 8 known planets and 12 known dwarf planets, one of which, Inari, is known to sustain life. Inari is one of the best explored objects in the NK catalog, and is home to a permanent robotic presence, as it is biologically the closest analog to Earth known in the universe.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inari Survey.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	36266
    Last edited by Omnigeek6; 06-03-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great to see more entries - looks like a good start, but try using less compression (higher quality) when you save - the texts are getting mauled by it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What Tilt said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm... I saved at maximum quality.

I think the text got mauled earlier on.

GIMP's text is too simplistic, so I tried making most of the text in Word, taking a screenshot, and finally scaling it up to the size of my image (which was probably where the problem occured). I may need to find a different way to get large amounts of text into images in the future.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What do you mean by "too simplistic"?
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

now I don't know GIMP, but I believe some users choose to use inkscape (also free) for texts after making the image in GIMP, however, the amount of text is rather small so I would guess that GIMP should be able to do it.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

If you scale up your image in GIMP, which it looks like you might have done, GIMP automatically rasterizes all of your text layers. If you catch it early enough, you can use the text tool on those "formerly" text layers which gives you the option of editing them as text again to increase the font size normally. It all depends on your saves and timing. Likely at this point, you'll need to reenter all of your text either through GIMP, or as tilt suggested, Inkscape.

So yeah, I was too lazy to make a bunch of text layers, and didn't realize how crappy the end result looks.

Fix'd (I think)

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	85 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	36299

Edit: lol, wrong picture. Fix'd again.
    Last edited by Omnigeek6; 06-04-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Now we can see that the first "Characteristics" is spelled incorrectly. Also, down in the "Biosphere Characteristics", "Biomass" somehow picked up an extra "s".

Also, the "More Info" button isn't working. :-)

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	157 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	36300

The "more info" button is coming later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast