Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTPro - Custom Rainfall/Temperature scales

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help FTPro - Custom Rainfall/Temperature scales

Asking here and the ProFantasy forums, and will post any answer I get on one to the other.

I am wanting to export a grayscale image of the rainfall and temperature models from my FTPro world. For Altitude, it's easy to create a custom color scale using a text editor, but apparently the scales for Rain and Temp are a binary file. You can build a custom scale through the GUI, but it is *extremely* difficult to do if you have many colors, and I'm wanting to do a full 256 color scale.

Does anyone know a way I can create a custom *.bcl file from an external source for this?

Thanks
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

I would recommend using the built-in tools in FT. On the rainfall tab of Lighting and Color, set # colors to 256. Then click the Lowest box and select black. Then, while holding down the Shift key, click on the Highest Value and (still holding down the Shift key) click white. The color list should be a full grayscale value.

This technique works for any two colors, because Shift triggers use of full RGB colors rather than the more limited Campaign Cartographer palette when picking and interpolating colors. Doing the above steps without holding down Shift will get you a 16-color step; holding down Shift gets the full 256-color ramp.

Worked great! Thanks!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Blog Entries

<Thread hijack>

Waldronate, I'd just like to offer my thanks for your support of this community. I know rep is only another form of epeen and it's not why you do it but the fact that your rep is so low shows that it is basically a flawed system. The fact is that you and your Wilbur program (and the others you program and maintain through ProFantasy etc.) deserve far more rep than someone who just churns out a map a week, often with little thought put into it and often using the tools you've created (and I would include myself in that list btw).
    Unfortunately your presence on this board is less visible than a new map, despite the fact that you always seem to be around to answer any problems people have with your programs in a matter of hours. Like with most things though the person in the background doesn't receive the recognition they deserve.

So again, thanks for the support, man... also... why no contributor badge?

</Thread hijack>
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    <Thread hijack>

Waldronate, I'd just like to offer my thanks for your support of this community. I know rep is only another form of epeen and it's not why you do it but the fact that your rep is so low shows that it is basically a flawed system. The fact is that you and your Wilbur program (and the others you program and maintain through ProFantasy etc.) deserve far more rep than someone who just churns out a map a week, often with little thought put into it and often using the tools you've created (and I would include myself in that list btw).
    Unfortunately your presence on this board is less visible than a new map, despite the fact that you always seem to be around to answer any problems people have with your programs in a matter of hours. Like with most things though the person in the background doesn't receive the recognition they deserve.

So again, thanks for the support, man... also... why no contributor badge?

</Thread hijack>
    Absolutely ! I feel guilty that I've never bothered to acknowledge how great a contribution your stuff has been to me and my mapping. I use Wilbur all the time. Thanks SO much
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    ... also... why no contributor badge?
    Another vote from me. I don't currently have Wilbur, but it's on my 'to get and master' list, and I'm sure I'll be picking his brains about it before too long. It just can't be beat for creating realistic landforms.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well said Ramah, we should probably rectify that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well said, and seconded...thirded.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Absolutely Ramah....could not agree more. Contributor's badge awarded!

Thanks Joe, and sorry for being so blind to all of the help you've given to people here for so long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast