Thread: Western Tyr

Default Western Tyr

It's been awhile since I've had a chance to do some mapping, and I thought I'd play around with mapping a region. I started with RobA's gimp tutorials for regions and trees and then played around with it a bit. I also used Profantasy fractal terrains and wilbur.

I'm sure I have a lot to learn about all of those programs - so any help and advise would be appreciated!

And the attachment upload seems to hang up for some reason, so I'll just link to dA

http://bpmjackofhearts.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3i349a

You can see the full size image by clicking download in the upper-righthand corner.

Anything you see that I could improve on please let me know!

Interesting layout of the land - sort of looks like Panama. It'd be nice to have a larger scale file to look at, because the detail gets lost such as it is.
    Who is John Galt?

Unfortunately, on my old computer (just got a new one - hurray!), this was about as big as I could handle in terms of locking up my computer and wait times to accomplish anything.
    However, I'll attach it here for convenience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Tyr.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	661.9 KB 
ID:	36567

The teo things that immediately stand out as needing further consideration are the water and the drop shadow effecct that the land has. It makes the land appear to be floating, such that it is disconnected from the base; in the assumption that youre not going for floating islands here, you might look at finding a way to represent the gradation of the seabed that follows the continental layout, and dropping the shadow effect.
    Who is John Galt?

Yeah I've noticed some people like the shadow and some people really don't. Can you show me what you mean when you describe your alternative?