Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taur Cordof WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip Taur Cordof WIP

Ok that's it. I've had enough! I gotta do it, the bug has bit me again!!

I may not end up being as prolific as i used to be since my fulltime job is in full swing, we're researching and saving up for Restaurant startup, and I'm applying for a new position at work - same job but work-from-home which would save scads of travel time and means I can lay on my back while I work from a laptop...(back is still painful but now bearable to sit up and walk thanks to creative application of meds) (and that probably explains my rambling and overuse of parentheses lol)

Anyhow enough pre-amble. I really liked the idea behind this map when I started it for the Big Apple gallery show. I just HAVE to complete it. Might take some time, since I'll only be working a few hours per day (as opposed to the 8 or 12 I used to be able to put in). Plus I'm a bit out of practice but this should be a great exercise to get me back in to hand drawing since I plan on 100% hand drawing, no brushes. Anyhow, the tablet is dusty, and I've really been feeling guilty about that - I positively love the thing and now it's sitting at the back of the desk all neglected..

So here's where I left off...
    things to do include:
    Translating labels to Elvish (elven?)
    Redrawing forests and mountains by hand
    add roads
    add scale and flourishes
    dunno if the style needs a border, maybe a simple one.

I'm thinking I should do the translations first, so I can draw the map features around the words.. If I ever do one of these by hand on actual paper, I suspect I'll need to do it in that order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 copy.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	36195  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wow Coyotemax, great to see you back! I was wondering whatever became of you. Hope things work out for you in terms of working from home. Wow, this looks to be a meaty undertaking, but I am looking forward to seeing it unfold.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Glad to see you back... I miss the octoclops
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Great to see you back at last, CM. And glad to see you finishing this off too.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I'm happy that you are feeling some better with your back and all. I'm also psyched that you are back.

And don't worry if you aren't as prolific as you used to be, I'm in the same boat until around October...stinking work, it's always cutting into my free time.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great to see you back - and I'm really pleased to see this map getting dusted off! Glad to hear the back's settled down a little too.

Interesting and beautifully made. my thumbs go up as if they were strapped to a Saturn V rocket!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach
    Wow.. far too much hassle. Gobbledigook rules the day as far as I'm concerned.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Perfectionism can really suck sometimes, but it's well worth it in the end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast