Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Moonless Falls

Whew, life's been busy, put this on a hiatus for a bit. Thanks for the input JF, I completely agree with your suggestions.

Here is the map updated with more whitecaps in the falls and with some features starting to be filled in on the island. Also still playing around with plants, and deciding if there are any other features I want to add before I start to tweak the coloring/mood of the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 7.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	38489

That´s beautiful water. I think the green is too saturated. Otherwise good job!

Okey dokey then, nothing like late rather than never.

I realized I never posted the finished product of this encounter map, so I thought I would just do that now then.

Ultimately I added in a bit of shadowing around the edges, lowered the intensity of the colors a bit (with a slight increase in contrast due to the heightened shadow and reduced saturation), and added a bit of leafy cover to some of the map border.

All in all I was pretty satisfied with how this map turned out and learned a good deal from it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 8.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	41586  

This map turned out to be very good. With your permission I will include it in my "to be played" folder. This central "island" screams for a lady in the lake thing . Only nitpick is that the green is a little bit to green for my taste.

Thanks Troedel. Of course you can use this map any way you like and for anything you like, any one can .

The central island with the lady of lake type deal was exactly what I was designing for and used this map for. I still agree with the fact that the green color is far to intense and pervasive. I might actually open this guy back up and see what I can do by adjusting the levels and curves. Shifting them more towards brown, particularly the ground, will probably make this much less "pastel" (it doesn't help that I am colorblind when it comes to green and red hues).

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Something that would work well (to my eyes) is putting a parchemnt (or beige/brown colid colour) overtop, set to Hue at 50%. Mutes the greens a bit without affecting the rest of the colours more than slightly.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Nice look of water movement. This has turned out well.

Sure I tells myself, what the hell, why not keep working on a map I finished up months ago because now I'm not satisfied with it? You know you have a problem with these sort of detaily things self.

Anyways, color maps featuring lots of green are probably a very bad idea for me to pursue in the future, as this map taught me that my handi-color-capablity means that greens are going to be the bane of my existence.

So here it is, I opened this guy back up tonight and played with some color overlays, curves adjustments, and even (per Coyote's excellent suggestion) and nice grungy texture overlay to help bring the piece together and help break up the smoothness of the colors (Parchment didn't work to well, but a semi-parchment grungy texture was just right).

That's it. I'm done with this now, for the love of god. I think it looks a bit better now, the colors are just a bit more subdued (I think... again, I'm handi-color-capable) and I took out some of the plants whose placement was bothering me.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments everyone. On to a new project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonless Falls Recolored.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	777.6 KB 
ID:	42065

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'd play on that map!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Good map! It works ... I'd stop fiddling now and start a new one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast