Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Moonless Falls

Wip [WIP] Moonless Falls

Hey everybody!

So I've taken a bit of mapping break recently, and my poor tablet has started gathering dust. THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO PASS

Therefor, I've started a new mapping project. I have a wonderful adventure in mind for my friends to play through, but I found I was lacking any suitable on-hand maps for one particular encounter area, a shrouded, rocky mountain waterfall pool. What's a person to do?

I haven't drawn a waterfall before, so this might turn out hilariously bad. We'll see. Hopeful I might get some pointers as I go.

Here is the starters, the rocky wall area where the waterfall will be located.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	402.7 KB 
ID:	36323

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The rock wall looks great. I'm looking forward to watching this progress.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is off to a fine start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks guys

Busy busy week, didn't get to work on this at all. Finally got back to it for a little bit tonight. Outlined the pool area, some of the random stones in the water, and the outline of the small island that will be in the middle of the pool. Colors might change as this goes, and the shading might need a bit of work, we'll see how things look as I start adding vegetation and the water.

The nib on my tablet pen is starting to wear out. I hope it can hold on until I'm finished with this.

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	468.6 KB 
ID:	36479

Damn all these distractions, worked some more on this today, mainly just playing around with plant designs.

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	36656

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I realize you're just 'playing around' with the plants, but they seem a little saturated/bright to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the input SG, indeed they are very bright/saturated. I will definitely be modifying the hue and brightness later in the process, once I have a better feel for the overall color and tone of the image.

Worked some more on this today, focusing mainly on the groundscape, plus some clump grasses. Speckled a mixture of bright greens and dark browns liberally in an attempt to depict mossy/grassy, hurray for jitter.

Filled in a placeholder color for the water, all that white was hurting my eyes.

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 4.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	36680

Worked on water today. I'm fairly happy with how my waterfall turned out, though I might try tweaking it later. Of course, I might ruin it doing so.

I could use some ideas on what else people think this map needs/is lacking. I've hit all the important features that make this playable, now its time to toy around with the little art things (color levels, shadowing, border, grungey overlay, ect.)

Name:	Moonless Falls WIP 5.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	36695

I think it is just beautiful as it is.

If the falls are fast flowing, maybe a bit more "noise"/whitecaps a few feet before the cliff ends and a tiny bit "below" the fall edge, but that's a personal preference....<shrug>.

The only other thing I can see is that the big rock in the center needs something... either a bit more texture/color variation or some more shading to make it more roundy.. right now it's solid "flat" with a flat color and just kind of sticks out in the close up.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast