Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fractal Terrains, Wilbur & Photoshop: Multi-Styles Tutorial

Default [Award Winner] Fractal Terrains, Wilbur & Photoshop: Multi-Styles Tutorial

I made this (my first ever so it's a bit lengthy) tutorial a while back.. its posted on another thread but i thought i should give it a better home so here it is.

In the tutorial I go through the steps to create the entire map from Fractal Terrains > Wilbur > Photoshop.... and then within Photoshop i detail setting up and changing layers and their settings, kind of like recipes to achieve the various styles shown. I could obviously have added tons more detail but the tutorial was mainly targeted at the map style itself and the ease of changing a look using different combinations of layer styles.

Fractal Terrains, Wilbur & Photoshop: Multi-Styles Tutorial

..also thanks to Ramah (Hand-drawn map elements) & Coyotemax (Make your own Aged Paper textures) for use of some mapping elements used in the tutorial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISRAH_CENTRAL_DEEP_TONES.jpg 
Views:	1072 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISRAH_CENTRAL_FINISHED.jpg 
Views:	1306 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	36327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISRAH_CENTRAL_PARCHMENT.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	36328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISRAH_CENTRAL_LIGHT.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	36329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISRAH_CENTRAL_WASHED.jpg 
Views:	778 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	36330  

I found your tut after I had been experimenting around with Wilbur and now I'd really like to give it a try myself. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your techniques with the community.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well I just saw your awesome Lothgar map.. thats actually what made me think of relocating this.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done... may have to give this a try at some point.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It´s a great source of information but very hard to master. There are tons of pitfalls to avoid, if you see them before you are right in the middle. I´m missing the relationship between errosion and initial heightrange. I noticed you started out with mountains about 16km high. What´s the highest mountain after erosion? Is it possible to start out with more earthlike heightranges? This tutorial will haunt me for a few more nights but I hope to get it right. My first try with my Tarnath map was childsplay against this. repped!

Difficult? Perhaps. But certainly rewarding. BTW, I was experimenting around this afternoon with my Lothgar Map and used elements of your tutorial to come up with and "Israhed" variation. Didn't get quite as detailed as you do in your tut, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Thanks again a2area.

Blog Entries

I've been meaning to give this tut a try ever since a2area asked permission to use my brushes in it. I even bought FT Pro after i read through it and realised how great this tut was.
    I might just have to make it next on my list of things to try and find the time to fit in.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I know that it would be hard to do but what I´m missing in the tut is an optical indication of the selection range in the pics. That would helb very much to adapt to other situations. But, as before, it´s good stuff.

I tried to use a more earthlike hightrange, but I found out that you than have only mountains with 2.500m height after the erosion. So one must really start with high mountains.

Now I'm trying to find out what use the "add Noise" in the wilbur step has. Why is this done? It seems to have a rather odd effect on the map. Can I undo this step somehow?

Guild Apprentice

I am using the FT trial, but it doesn't seem to have the incise-flow tool. Is it a pro version only tool or do I have an old version of FT? I have demo version 2.2...???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast