Thread: Kinogasa Village/Temple/Shrine

Default Kinogasa Village/Temple/Shrine

This is for the second Convention Game for Kaidan, that Jonathan McAnulty (author and lead designer of Kaidan) is running at Origins 2011. I've already created the map for his other convention one-shot, 2 weeks ago.

This is Kinogasa village in Oteru province on the main island of Anshu, Empire of Kaidan. It is a small rice farming village only about 25 miles south of the capital. A famous Yokinto shrine (located on the top left corner of this map) sponsors an annual rice planting festival celebrated throughout the province, but based here in Kinogasa.

About 90 years ago, a rebellion against the empire and the state church of Zaoism was centered in Kinogasa by the head cleric of the shrine. Though the rebellion was quelled and its abbot executed, the festival was so important to the region, that the site was not destroyed. Rather a Zaoist priest was placed there by the empire to keep the rituals, but to ensure the loyalties of the local community. Apparently the ghostly spirit of the rebellious abbot dwells within a great bronze bell located in that shrine (the building to the east side of the shrine complex in the upper left corner).

Also a temple of Zao and a sohei monastery was established in Kinogasa to further ensure loyalties. It is located in the bottom right of the map.

Apparently invisible spirits are haunting the bell, thought to be the ghost therein (its not...), and cleansing the bell is the duty placed on the adventuring party.

This is supposed to be a low level adventure, I think 1st level.

So far, hand drawing of the village and environs at 18" x 24" scale. I've been scanning my bigger linework on my Kip 2053 large format digital copier, using the scanning unit to capture monochrome TIF files. I import this to Xara where I create the color pallates and the beveled shapes for the banks, hills and forests.

Still lots to do, though I will finish by noon tomorrow (I need to get this done). I will be coloring in the roads, created beveled shaped buildings, finishing up the shrine and temple areas, then labeling. This is a work in progress...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kinogasa.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	36336
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Kinogasa village map... done! Now I'll post this in the Finished Maps Forum

GP

Name:	kinogasa-map.jpg 
Views:	2981 
Size:	656.8 KB 
ID:	36343
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Kinogasa village/shrine/tmeple

The Village of Kinogasa lies in the central part of the Onari Province, western Anshu, the Empire of Kaidan. This is a small farming village with a famous Yokinto Shrine (upper left corner) that an annual rice planting festival is based around. Ninety years ago, a cleric of this shrine began a rebellion against the empire and the state religion of Zaoism. Eventually put to a stop, the cleric was executed, but the Imperial Court established a Zao Temple and sohei monastery to better control the villagers and watch for possible treason.

This map will be used for a Convention Game one-shot being run by Jonathan McAnulty the author/lead designer of my 3 part introductory adventure arc for the Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting. The adventure is called "The Tolling of Tears".

The hand-drawn portion of the map was created using a pen onto 18" x 24" tracing paper, scanned at 200 ppi on my large format Kip 2053 scanner/printer, imported to Xara Xtreme Pro 4, then finished with colors, beveled shapes, drop shadows and labeling.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	kinogasa-map.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	656.8 KB 
ID:	36345
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 06-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Nice tidy looking village map Game-printer.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yay for more eastern themed maps. Love it!

Merged threads into one main thread.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Eh, normally I don't want to mix a WIP thread with a Finished Map, so I wouldn't merge them myself, but since you did, then here's a cave map that corresponds with the village map. Note: the cave in the top center area.

This cave is where the locals toss bodies of dishonorable persons - criminals, etc. rather than giving proper burial - something that causes ghosts to appear, however.

Name:	kinogasa-cave.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	468.0 KB 
ID:	36353
    DrivethruRPG store