Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings

I stumbled on this site while looking for maps of Normandy for D-Day and I came across the post by Gamerprinter. What an interesting site!

I am a professional cartographer who creates and updates nautical charts. (and I wouldn't be surprised if I found a few of my peers lurking about here too).

Despite cartography being a career, I've always appreciated the artistry that goes into making a map. I look forward to seeing everyone's work!

*´¨)
    ¸.´¸.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
    (¸.´ (¸.` ¤ 7thDirection

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

welcome - let's see some of your work !

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    welcome - let's see some of your work !
    Wow RjBeals, you've made some very beautiful maps! It makes what I do seem really boring.

I've created two nautical charts from scratch:

Chart 16587

and

Chart 18748

*´¨)
    ¸.´¸.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
    (¸.´ (¸.` ¤ 7thDirection

Last edited by 7thDirection; 06-08-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thDirection View Post
    Wow RjBeals, you've made some very beautiful maps! It makes what I do seem really boring.

I've created two nautical charts from scratch:

Chart 16587

and

Chart 18748

*´¨)
    ¸.´¸.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
    (¸.´ (¸.` ¤ 7thDirection

Heya 7thDirection,

I'm a newbie here as well, and interested in all aspects of Cartography. I'm primarily an indie game designer trying to learn enough here so I can create graphical representations of the worlds I create in text.

As a game designer I'd be thrilled if you would do a step-by-step (in layman's terms) of the process for making one of your type maps. 'Cartographer' is one of the professions I've been considering trying to add to the game I'm currently designing. Professions in this game are all based on 'real-world' mechanics, knowledge, processes, etc. I'm curious to see if I would be able to convert the process over in a somewhat accurate manner, while maintaining the 'fun-factor' of doing so.

In any case, didn't mean to ramble.. welcome to the Guild.

-Lail
    A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has.

@Lailokken - Sounds like fun! I joined because it seemed like a pretty neat site, even though I don't do any fantasy cartography. Though I really appreciate the creativity and the artistry that I've been exposed to. It's easy to take cartography 'as an art' for granted when you only have 5 colors to work with. Most of the time, the creativity and art on my end is finding a way to convey the information I'm given in the most legible, efficient way possible (which can be a challenge). However, being a cartographer, I do still have and use my 'Cartographic License.' I'd love to help and share my knowledge to try to help make the whole cartography experience (even if it is fantasy), more meaningful.

*´¨)
    ¸.´¸.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
    (¸.´ (¸.` ¤ 7thDirection

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nothing boring about that. I am always in awe of the amount of work real world cartography involves.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We're always in need of the "real stuff" guys to keep us on course and not out to sea...so to speak. You see an error, point it out. Constructively, of course, because some folks here are young and defensive.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    We're always in need of the "real stuff" guys to keep us on course and not out to sea...so to speak. You see an error, point it out. Constructively, of course, because some folks here are young and defensive.
    Gals, that is.... I would think that most of the time, there aren't any right or wrong answers. If something looks funky, I'd think even the most novice mapmaker, would notice.

*´¨)
    ¸.´¸.*´¨) ¸.*¨)
    (¸.´ (¸.` ¤ 7thDirection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast