Thread: Requesting a satellite view type map for a roleplay forum

Default Requesting a satellite view type map for a roleplay forum

I play a game called nationstates, and I am part of a forum where the users roleplay their nations on a fictional world map. I'm the guy in charge with making and updating the map but, well, my skills are sub-par and I don't really have the dedication or time to make a quality of map that I think is reflective of the quality of our roleplay. Currently the forum is going through a significant change, including the scrapping of our current map for a new one, which I am expected to make. However, I really am not that good; I would say "adequate" for the purposes of our roleplay.

However, I've always wanted to create a nice satellite-view type of map for the forum that the users could become more immersed in. As it stands, the map is rather crudely done. I've tried my hand at Fractial Terrain Pro but I can't seem to get a handle on it, and it doesn't produce results that satisfy me; the shading is kind of weird as is the colouring, I find.

I'm not expecting a response to this, as I am basically asking for some quality work for absolutely free (I am by no means a wealthy person who can afford to pay people to make fantasy maps). If you want, I can send you a copy of the existing map (it's pretty big, 6000 x 3000 pixels, and we'd probably be asking for something similarly sized).

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to take a look at your base map. I've made a few NS maps in the past.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Here you go. It's the base map without the political lines and such. The world is called Tiberiam, the continents are Hiborea (the northern continent in the west), Caspadius (to the south) and Tyrrenius (The large eastern continent). The southern portion of Hiborea is considered a sub-continent akin to Europe, and is called Terragon. The large island west of Terragon is called Noratreos. Currently Caspadius, Hiborea and Noratreos are the only inhabited places.

My country is called the United People's Republics of Rasvidi and is located in the central north-eastern area of Terragon.

EDIT: Even just a satellite view of this map would be superb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiberiam.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	398.5 KB 
ID:	36415  
    Last edited by Depravus; 06-09-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Thats not bad at all IMO. Do you have a version with the political boundaries ? It would help me place everything.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I run the Sovereign Corporation of PQ Forge on NationStates

It's too bad I'm swamped with work right now or I would have offered to work this over, since I love that Game/Simulation/Whateveryouwanttocallit

You're in good hands with jtougas though, he's got some awesome pieces.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I run the Sovereign Corporation of PQ Forge on NationStates

It's too bad I'm swamped with work right now or I would have offered to work this over, since I love that Game/Simulation/Whateveryouwanttocallit

You're in good hands with jtougas though, he's got some awesome pieces.
    Thank you.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Could a mod mark this as taken? Thank you

I've started a WIP Thread HERE. Any questions or changes can be posted there. Thanks
    Last edited by jtougas; 06-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Finished Maps