Thread: The Carcadian Empire

Default The Carcadian Empire

Thanks to a number of tutorials on the forums and some experimentation, I'm pretty happy with this one. A lot of thanks to the helpful GIMP tutorials, like RobA's tutorial here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...highlight=Gimp

A little more elaborate this time with some borders, fractal terrain base image with some wilbur erosion (still trying to figure that program out!).

The Carcadian Empire at the height of their strength.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Carcadian Empire .jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	36461

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!
    Last edited by JackOfHearts; 06-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Nice job blending Fractal Terrain with Wilbur. I just got done working on a couple of GIMP/Wilbur projects myself and I know how difficult the learning curve can be.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great. The only thing I could give you some C&C on is the transition of colors on the Northern landmass. It's a little abrubt. But there may wel be an explanation for that. All in all it's very nice. Repped.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks for comments jtougas. I was thinking about representing the extend of the empire overlayed on a more natural-looking map. I was even thinking about showing the different extents of the empire across different years as it grew and shrank.

I'm really struggling with understanding much of what i'm doing with wilbur's erosion. What kind of erosion and settings make sense for different elevations, and why would you want to do multiple erosion passes over the same areas, etc.

The other thing I'd like to work on is figuring out how to show more climates on the natural map besides varying shades of green and grey as the mountains rise.