Thread: Looking for new symbols

Info Looking for new symbols

Hey folks.

Anyone know where I could fine some new structural symbols as in medieval towns, villages, houses etc?

Also looking for waterfalls. The official ones for CC3 are okay, but they don't work if you want a very tall waterfall.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In the Mapping Elements section there is a sticky thread with many many links to other sites with these sorts of things. If you don't find anything in the sticky thread then browse through the non-stick threads and see what's there. Far too much for me to just list it all here...you'll have to go through the library and peruse for yourself for a while. Sorry.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I just want to become more familiar with the terminology used here... What exactly is he asking for? The synechdochal symbols used on a map to represent some feature, or does he mean some sort of symbols that have a deeper meaning (i.e. Literary)?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenno View Post
    I just want to become more familiar with the terminology used here... What exactly is he asking for? The synechdochal symbols used on a map to represent some feature, or does he mean some sort of symbols that have a deeper meaning (i.e. Literary)?
    I don't know if he wants synechdochal symbols (somehow I'm not inspired to get a dictionary off of the shelf) and I doubt that he's seeking symbols that have a deeper meaning, although I certainly could be wrong on both counts. I think he's looking for a good set of images that some map programs call symbols and other call objects that he can place on a map to show how a location looks.

We have more than 1,000 such symbols available free for personal and commercial use under the OGL 1.0a, and the sticky thread mentioned above shows where one can get still more. Our sets are based upon real medieval structures, and they're accompanied with PDF pamphlets that show photos of the prototype structures. I have no idea if they're synechdochal symbols . If they strike some as being symbols that have a deeper meaning, that's strictly a personal interpretation. We just tried to make some historically accurate rooftops ... nothing more and nothing less.

Ours are available under the Vintyri (TM) Cartographic Collection at:

http://www.vintyri.org
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Excellent; that clarifies things immensely. Synechdochal symbols use a singular object or symbol to represent a larger thing that it comes from. Examples would be using the Empire State building on a map to make NYC look more pronounced, or referring to the audience in a play as "eyes."