Thread: WIP: Troglodyte / Black Dragon's lair

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default WIP: Troglodyte / Black Dragon's lair

Hello guys!

Long time not contributed... Sorry, life got in the way...

Anyway... Here is a project I am working on...

The idea is a network of natural from an dormant volcano that has been taken as a lair by a young black dragon and a tribe of troglodyte he recruited as henchmen.
    There are a few entrance to the lair: climbing the cliff-face to either of the openings on the Eastern side, or squeezing through cracks that lead to the pool of water... Alternatively, the water exit through its one little tunnel and this could be climbed through. There is one last possible entry on the Southern side; the big cave, but I am planning a vast chasm there... (multiple possible entries for the PCs, each with its own challenges...)

There is a second pool of water, more greenish... The black dragon actually keeps a dryad captive and force her to use her natural empathy to corrupt this pool of water and turn into swamp-like conditions... The small island in the middle of the lake is where her tree is kept... The smaller chamber on the south of this swamp room is actually another; smaller chasm. Toxic acidic fumes accumulate at the bottom of the chasm, leading to conditions similar to that inside of an acid cloud... The dragon does not care; being acid resistant so he keeps his gold and silver treasure there (these metals are also acid resistant), using the acid as a deterrent for would be thieves...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon's lair.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	75473

Looks interesting!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

At first I was going to comment on the difference between the rocky ground texture (blurry) and the caves (crisp) but I'm wondering if perhaps the blur is to indicate a height difference? If that's the case then adding a representation of the cliff face along the eastern edge would help sell the illusion, along with some strong elevation shadows. Keep it up, it's coming along nicely!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    At first I was going to comment on the difference between the rocky ground texture (blurry) and the caves (crisp) but I'm wondering if perhaps the blur is to indicate a height difference? If that's the case then adding a representation of the cliff face along the eastern edge would help sell the illusion, along with some strong elevation shadows. Keep it up, it's coming along nicely!

cheers,
    Meshon

You are quite right, I was trying to suggest the ground far below...

I agree with your comment about adding a cliff side, I still need to figure out how to do so, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post

cheers,
    Meshon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon's lair.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	75507

I did some work on the cliff face, not sure how good that is... Probably need some more work...