Thread: Help with Mountain Brushes

Help Help with Mountain Brushes

Greetings all,

I recently discovered the site and wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts materials up for people like me to use. It has made working on my map very enjoyable.

I am in need of some help. I am using the mountain brushes made from Ramah's Aronbor map. The problem I am having, as I am inexperienced with photoshop, is the fact that the brushes are black and clear so when I overlap them the mountain behind shows through, and when trying to cluster mountains they get washed by the shadow of the larger mountains behind. How can I make it so that this doesn't happen, in effect, how do I make the clear part of the brush white, i guess.

Thanks for any help.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those specific brushes are made to be spaced out but if you want tightly packed forests then here's what you need to do. Create a new document with a white background, put each of the different mountains on top of that with a good deal of space between them, erase the white around the outside of the peaks but leave the white on the inside, use the Clone Stamp tool and click on a mountain, there is an option for something like "just this layer" or "all layers" so choose the "all layers" one. Back on your map click again and you have a black mountain with a white background and you can now overlap them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Alternatively, you can use the method which I used on Vaniya which is to place your mountain brushes on about 3 or 4 different layers making sure you change layers every time you place a new mountain that overlaps another one. This way you can go through the layers and delete the bits of mountain that are below any others. It's a bit of a ballache method but if you stick with it it works. The clone stamp method works great but has the downside that you will need to use a multiply blend mode to get rid of the white background that cloning will give the brushes. I personally find this too limiting.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do the same thing, Ramah...using multiple layers. I find I get more control of the final product that way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sorry for the late thanks everyone. I stepped away from my map for a bit, and have just returned to it. And forgetting I had posted this query, I came here searching once again for help with the same problem. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm using the multiple layer method. It's a pain but I get the control I need.