Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: Garden of Edibles

Default May/June 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: Garden of Edibles

Ok, I know with two days to go this is crazy but since I finished my commission piece I just felt like jumping in no matter what. I don't have many expectations mainly because I don't have much time to put into this but the more the merrier!

Hehe, Behold, the Garden of Edibles!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoodScan.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	36506  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-14-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: forgot the latest wip tag
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Figured out that red is population. What are blue, yellow and green?

Doesn't look bad at all for a rush job. Good luck!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Blog Entries

Interesting idea, but it is a bit odd that aliens who plan to eat us would go to the trouble of finding out which central meridian we use so they can make their maps line up with ours.

LOL, now don't be bitter just because you are going to be eaten
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Interesting idea, but it is a bit odd that aliens who plan to eat us would go to the trouble of finding out which central meridian we use so they can make their maps line up with ours.
    You'd be surprised what going to the grocery store entails these days. Looking good Jax. Way to jump in at the last minute.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Nah, they just downloaded it off the internet. You'd be surprised what's out there.... or maybe you wouldn't.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

At this late of a start I'm mainly interested in getting the concept across. I almost never use anything I don't create from scratch but in this case I used a public domain image of earth that I altered into a silhouette. I wasn't going to spend hours drawing the land masses of our planet as I didn't see that as adding anything to the piece. I then went to some population images and painted the areas in red by hand. They are not meant to be accurate although for the most part they are generally close. It doesn't really matter though because who's to say the aliens haven't already eaten a bunch of us?

The other colored bars are to represent pollution and other resources. Depending on how much time I have this evening I may be able to refine this a little more, I wouldn't count on it though.

My goal is more to evoke an emotion using the reflection of the alien face in the scan. When I started I wasn't even sure how I was going to do that.

Blog Entries

Hmm, just a thought, but one quick and dirty way to make the map look more alien would be to flip it upside down. North being "up" is as arbitrary as choosing Greenwich as the central meridian. Aliens might even orient their maps sideways relative to us. In fact, back in the middle ages, what few maps were made had east at the top (they were literally "oriented" as in pointed to the east).

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The first thing I saw was the alien face...looks sort of like the aliens in Independence Day. Cool idea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like the idea of flipping it and that's pretty easy to implement as well.

With minor updates and just in case I don't get back to this later.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FoodScan.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	566.6 KB 
ID:	36544  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 06-14-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forogt my sig :O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast