Thread: [WIP] First Attempts

Guild Applicant

Wip [WIP] First Attempts

So as I put in my intro post I suddenly had a lot of time on my hands recovering from an injury and deciding to try digitizing the world my friends and I have been playing DnD in for more than a decade. I've read several tutorials here and have tried lots of different things, lots and lots of trial and error.. but please critique or offer and pointers you think of, be ruthless if you must! The only thing I can't really control is the placement of things, as they have been 'set' in graph paper and colored pencil for years and years.. so mountains and rivers probably don't make a ton of sense, but looking for any technical pointers at all.

anyway, here she is! do your worst!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wipmap.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	821.5 KB 
ID:	36570

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild! I like the map, but yes, you are right, the rivers do not make much sense at all. They seem to blatantly violate the "water flows downhill" rule. Also, rivers don't usually split up (there are exceptions) and never connect two oceans (you don't have that issue here tho). Sorry, the River Police badge carries with it a certain responsibility.

Other than that, I'd say the ocean texture is just a little too repetive, mixing that one up could help a lot. Otherwise the textures are cool

Oh - one other thing that hit me; there are no small islands on the map, but in the real world you'd expect some.

Guild Applicant

Thank you for your river wisdom, I'm sure that down the line I will bring it up to our DM and try to make them a little more sensible.. And I understand the responsibility.. I don't want to be party to a dereliction of duty

And I noticed what you mean about the ocean texture, I've been so focused and zoomed in on the map portions I had not paid the water a lot of attention after I was done with it.. I even shrank this map by half to post it so it is pretty big normally.

That is a good point about the islands, I will see what I can do about adding some to coastlines.

Oh something that I was wondering about are the hills on the left hand side of the map, above the mountain range but below the large forest.. I've been trying to get a 'rolling' effect for gentle hills but everything I do comes out looking a little too pronounced or harsh. Any ideas?

I should also say I'm relatively new to photoshop so I've been learning much of the program as I built the map.
    Last edited by Haalfdane; 06-16-2011 at 06:55 PM.