Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June 2011 Challenge Entry - Aloria Reuinted

Default June 2011 Challenge Entry - Aloria Reuinted

I was helping someone on another thread with FT Pro today...I kind liked the map that came out, so being the slacker I am, I'm repurposing the map for the comp. Going for a clean graphic look to this one and messing around with some ideas. It's not a single battle, more of a campaign but well such is life!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_01.jpg 
Views:	1294 
Size:	690.5 KB 
ID:	36524  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This doesn't look anything like Riva, Cherek, Drasnia, and Algaria.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I have no idea what you're talking about, big A! (seriously!)

Next WIP (I think I'm finished).

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_05.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	36542  

Aloria is the term for those countries that I mentioned in the Belgariad and Mallorean series of books by David Eddings. Change it or keep it, was just ribbin ya a lil.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

lol! It must have lodged its way into my brain from my teens when I read them. I hate coming up with Fantasy names and usually string a lot of vowels together to make something work, or end up choosing stuff like brands of whiskey, local street names and people's names. Problem is that most fantasy authors have done that already! Aloria, Malloria, Ballorean, Fallinia, Esandia etc etc. just lots of vowels.

That's why I prefer to just go generic like Nation 1, Nation 2, etc. I hate coming up with stuff only to find out later that it's too similar to something else. I never have to struggle with naming things that way either. If I feel particularly inspired I'll name some stuff but, in the end, all of the stuff that I make up will never be used for anything so why bother taxing my brain trying to come up with names.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That's why I prefer to just go generic like Nation 1, Nation 2, etc. I hate coming up with stuff only to find out later that it's too similar to something else. I never have to struggle with naming things that way either. If I feel particularly inspired I'll name some stuff but, in the end, all of the stuff that I make up will never be used for anything so why bother taxing my brain trying to come up with names.
    The last time I felt that way, I just wrote a quick and dirty little name generator. I even coupled it to another little program that would look through an SVG file looking for the strings "Elf Town" and "Dwarf Town" and replace them with names from the appropriate made up language automatically.

Thanks Sap.

@Hai-Etlik: Yeah, I use Alfar's Wordbuilder program for just the same thing. Unless I have an absolute ton of labels to do I find it faster just thinking up stuff on the fly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast