Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allal, and my near-future plans

Professional Artist

Post Allal, and my near-future plans

I got a little bit burned out coming up with names for places in Jalaun, so I decided to move to the other side of Sorol and throw together a map of the Kingdom of Allal. I have another map in progress (about 75% done) for Jalaun, and then the next map I do I plan on walking through step-by-step here if people are interested. It would be a sort of WIP/tutorial combo.

Also, the KML has been updated.

Enjoy!
    -Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allal.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	1,009.4 KB 
ID:	2399  
    Last edited by HandsomeRob; 02-18-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added KML link

Post I'd love to see that!

Oh, HandsomeRob, I'd love to see a step-by-step tutorial on your techniques for creating your maps! Please do.

And I'd go nuts trying to come up with all the derivations of "India" place names, you've done so far.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It's a really good looking map, but IMHO it could use some ocean definition : either just coloration between the low and high sea or a whole floor of derivation. Something like this attach, but better looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sea floor2.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	2406  
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

hehe I agree Alucard thats just me though, but the thing is, its an Atlas styled map, I've never seen an atlas map with ocean/sea/lake definition, they are all that blue/green color and very much flat...
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    ...and then the next map I do I plan on walking through step-by-step here if people are interested. It would be a sort of WIP/tutorial combo.
    Forgive my rudeness, but one of the top cartographers here asks if anyone is interested in seeing a tutorial/walk-thru of some of the most praiseworthy maps in Guild history???? That's just a downright stupid question, Rob!!

Do it, DO IT NOW!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I like this map ... a lot. I love the atlas look to the map, and the colour palette used.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Alucard- I really like your attachment for the ocean definition. I'd like to see a tutorial on that.

Yandor- I'm going to have to (partially) disagree with you on this one. While atlas-style oceans do NOT have details like that which Alucard proposed, they often have mutliple shades of blue to depict deeper and deeper water. I think its fairly common for atlas-style maps to have something other than flat blue water.

Info Mid ociean volcanic islands...

I believe other maps by HandsomeRob, include a minimal amount of off shore shallows. However these volcanic islands could very well have steep slopes dropping to the ocean floor and the source of these volcanoes.

Hawaii for instance has steeply sloping beach dropping towards the sea floor. Volcano islands are seabottom mountains. There would effectively be no shallow areas per se, except right at the beach - and this wouldn't show in a map.

HandsomeRob's maps have a very much National Geographic feel to them, don't lessen it because its less "artistic" than other maps found here. These are very technical maps and accurate in look and feel, more so than any artistic map...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist

Thanks for the responses! I guess I will have to do that walkthrough/tutorial then. I will try to finish up the map of Gurhana that I have in production now (probably a week or so?) and after that is done I will do the next map step-by-step with you guys.

About this map:
    I have not included any sort of water depth shading on any of my maps so far. I agree that it would definitely enhance this particular map. I might consider adding some sort of depth shading if I ever get around to doing a second edition of my atlas. I wonder if I could come up with a method... I'm not particularly fond of the ocean depths given by Fractal Terrains so that is right out.

Thanks all,
    -Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast