Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fa-Nija - WIP

Blog Entries

Default Fa-Nija - WIP

I'm finding it a little difficult to work on the three or four maps I am currently in the middle of (including the one I started purely to work on during the times when work was a chore on the other maps etc... irony etc.) so I figured I'd start a new map. Well... newish.

In the spirit of this being a WIP thread I thought I'd post right from inception onwards. So here is my (very) preliminary sketch with a rough idea of how I figure the landmass shape will be...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa-Nija - Rough1a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	36550

Ok, so not much to look at there then. But I will almost certainly have the shape locked down and looking a little better later on tonight or tomorrow at the latest. So hopefully it will get a little more interesting then.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Pretty gutted right now. Just had a power surge that reset my PC and I lost several hours worth of work on this map. Rookie mistake not having saved it for ages.

Ah well, I guess it could have been worse. I feared it had been even longer since I saved it. So, I would have had the base map finished by now to post but for now here is the base map with quite a lot more tarting to do. Most of the east and north coasts are done but I need to completely redo all the west coast and islands on the left side.

This is at 25%...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa-Nija - Rough2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	36574
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good so far. I like that canyon/fjord thing in the top left. I call it the mouth of the pterodactyl.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks good so far. I like that canyon/fjord thing in the top left. I call it the mouth of the pterodactyl.
    Hehe. I see what you mean. There is also a small part of the coast that I noticed when I was doing it reminded me very much of a polar bear's head. It might not be quite so easy to spot at the 25% scale but I left it in there and figured I might even call it "Bear's Head" or something.

Ravs, just lots of faffing and redrawing, adding bits and deleting bits till I get something I like enough to leave. I'm still narked at losing those hours of work as several of the areas I had done were quite awkward to nail down. Ah well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

...and the large westernmost 'chunk' of the landmass looks a bit like an elephant head.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Dumboland, of course.

Ravs, just lots of faffing and redrawing, adding bits and deleting bits till I
    get something I like enough to leave. I'm still narked at losing those hours of
    work as several of the areas I had done were quite awkward to nail down. Ah
    well.
    Then you are Slartibartfast! I must try drawing my own continental shapes, I rely too much on filters and it makes me lazy.

Ha! this is looking great but I can't understand everyone's lingo. "Faffing"? It's all good if you don't mean anything specific by it but if "faffing" is how you get the nice fractalized/torn edges then I need more direction. I need to learn how that works. I know about oldguy's tutorial and I need to put some bench time in on that but I really like how your's is looking.

Thanks for posting right from the start, I'm sure I will be loving this thread as you progress.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Hehe, sorry Jax. Faffing is a british colloquialism I guess. It just means "messing around."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast