• Luyten 7002 Survey Report - Greason Wolfe

4 11.76%
  • We are being scanned - timallen

5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** May / June 2011 Lite Challenge Voting - Planetary Survey ***

Default *** May / June 2011 Lite Challenge Voting - Planetary Survey ***

Lots of entries this month and at a very high standard.

The challenge was to create a planetary survey and the winner will get a silver compass and a $40 voucher from Pro-fantasy.

It seems like our thumbnailer is still not quite up yet, but hopefully if it does come up during the voting we will put it here. For now, I'm afraid you will have to look at the threads manually to come to your decision.

Good luck to all the contestants!

PLEASE VOTE FOR 2 ENTRIES

Please give reputation to entries that you feel are deserving.

Thumbnail page for this month's Challenge: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ut..._LiteMay11.htm

NOTE: Please refer to TMO's entry in the link below rather than the thumbnail (it refers to another map).

Links to maps:

Tough voting. I had a hard time deciding between about 4 different ones. Good job folks!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Novice

Very tough voting indeed. And to all of my competitors, thanks for making my first challenge so... challenging; this month had quite a fantastic show of talent and innovation. Gold stars for everyone!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another great challenge. I had to vote for Troedel and Tilt. Troedel for a beautiful and captivating map and Tilt for actually making my entry cooler. (Also it was a great map with very cool imagery of the planets slow destruction.) Rep to everyone that entered. I can honestly say that this might be the best "lite" challenge field I have seen since joining.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very tough voting, indeed. Hrm, is there an echo in here?

Anyways, I went with timallen's map. It had a pulp graphic novel feel to it that I liked. I still cant read all that alien gobbledy-gook, but then again, maybe I'm not supposed to be able tor read it.

My second vote went to Omnigeek6's map. Very quick and clean with just the right little details to make me want to see more.

But there were good maps all-around this time, and my hat's off to everyone who participated.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't even know where to begin so I'll have to mull this over for a day or so.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Man, only two? Cheese and rice.

Had to give it up for Troedel and Greel in the end. Awesome maps all around, fellas.

All very interesting entries and each of them held a story I could tell. This entire challenge has made me want to go play my X3 games again....must resist....if I get into gaming I pretty much take a break from more constructive things....like maps.

Anyway, I thought Greel's entry was just superb. It really captured the "Planetary Scan" idea and just looked so sci-fi.
    Troedel also had a great feel to it that got my vote.

I really liked a lot of the entries and love the fact that so many joined in. I only wish I hadn't waited till so near the end to get around to joining this. I just had to join in to show my support.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Wow, what a great bunch of maps. I have a tough time with maps like these as because I have little interest in making them myself most of the flourishes go right over my head and all the added information that is de rigeur on this style of map may as well be written in martian (which it kinda is on a few of these. ).
    Anyhoo, several jumped out at me as being just so damn beautiful I had to vote for them, the first being Greel's map which looks amazing. The second one was harder, being a toss up between Troedel's beauty and Hai-Etlik's just plain coolness. In the end I plumped for coolness. I don't particularly like the paper texture used on it but I love everything else.

So there are my two votes. Good luck veryone - any one of the maps posted would be a worthy winner.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A bunch of fantastic entries, very difficult to choose.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast