View Poll Results: What world do you like the most?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Map 1

0 0%
  • Map 2

0 0%
  • Map 3

2 13.33%
  • Map 4

12 80.00%
  • Map 5

2 13.33%
  • Map 6

0 0%
  • Map 7

1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of Anicca

Help World of Anicca

I'm making myself familiar with Fractal Terrain to seek a landshape that I like for my new world-building project. But now I can't decide which world looks better. I narrowed it down to seven worlds. Maybe you can help me and just post which one do you like the most and why. That would be a great help

And I'm wondering how the climate would be in those worlds. I hope with the basics of this I can take the next step and actually make a map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	36587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	second.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	36588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	third.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	36589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fourth.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	36590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fifth.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	36591  

And the other world attachments:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sixth.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	36592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seventh.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	36594  

Fractal Terrains can give you 'stringy' shaped continents which don't really look convincing (except if you want stringy shaped continents). 4 looks the best to me because the continents arn't so thin but it all depends on what you are after. The author of Fractal Terrains 'Waldronate' who is a regular poster on this site, has posted some great tutorials for FT, you might want to do a search and check them out.

Yeah that was my thought as well. I also kinda like 3 as well, but 4 is probably the best.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the help ^^ Yeah, Fractal produces a lot of snake like worlds. I don't know if some other parameters would make better looking worlds. I used 0.79 roughness, 68% sea and 2.34 landsize.
    On the other hand is actually a good thing it doesn't look like earth since its a fantasy world.

In general, I'd agree with ravs and arsheesh that worlds 3 or 4 probably look best for unedited output, and maybe world 7 as well. But in all honesty, any one of them could work well with a little editing. I'd strongly recommend following the link that waldronate posted, it'll really open up a whole new world (no pun intended) for you in FTPro.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Map #4 is definitely foremost for me (yes, bad pun intended )
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

4 for me as well. I believe a way to reduce the stringiness of the continents is to reduce the Lacunarity of the fractal function. The tradeoff is that you'll have to include more octaves if you want to zoom in further, which slows down processing a bit. It's something I'm currently experimenting on for my maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Thanks for all the advice, I think number 4 looks the most realistic, too, but I read the tutorial and I will try some other parameters.
    MasterTMO, how can I reduce the lacunarity in the program? Is that a function?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast