Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique-Style Maps in Gimp

That's pretty rad. I reckon if you made the colours of the states a bit less opaque, the effect would fit the style a bit more!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Thank you for the advice WhatTheBlazes, I'll do that in my next pratice.

Great tutorial! I appreciate the detail you put into how to make the text effects. Definitely worth a day's work. I ran out of space for the scale and compass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	63352

Thanks!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Very nice Zaelkonan, and the mountains fit very well with this style.

Guild Novice

Hmm, I'm having trouble with adding mountains. I have Gimp 2.8. What am I supposed to do if I can't find the "fade out" box? I don't think this is in 2.8, but I am very new to this program. It seems like it should look like the lines are just fading away, but mine are still constant after adjusting the fade settings. I'm just doing a random map to try different strategies.

In the instructions, you mention you used brushes off of DeviantArt, and then refer specifically to 'the second brush of these', but there does not appear to actually be a link there. Would you perhaps have the link somewhere, or am I just incapable of using the link correctly?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I Love this tutorial...I have recommended to at least one person and I have a Meetup on Meetup.com...and I will post a link to this tutorial so everyone can benefit from this thanks. The only real problem I see with this tutorial is the need to keep up with the changes in Gimp that affect your tutorial and adjust accordingly...to keep your tutorial relevant for the program. Thanks again great work you did Candacis

Guild Novice

This is my first completed map using Gimp, my second attempt using this tutorial. Computer crashed three-quarters of the way through the first one - and I forgot to save. There are several things I still need to work on and there are a couple of parts I know I missed. Thank you very much for the tutorials, I definitely appreciate it. There isn't a compass Rose, because I haven't figured out how to make one. The mountains are from Deviant Art.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	69868

Banned User

Try this for a poor man's compass rose
    http://www.dafont.com/pr-compass-rose.font

Guild Novice

Thank you! Those will work great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast