Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Crashed, now my map is corrupt - any way to recover?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Default Photoshop Crashed, now my map is corrupt - any way to recover?

I spent the past few weeks working on my masterpiece map
    It was much larger than I've ever worked with, and had illustrator smart objects placed into it.
    Last night, I saved as I normally do. I opened the file this morning and saw this:

http://gyazo.com/6a5c955813e8356812e57124bd512bea

The file is 417 mb. But it's just 1 layer of red/black noise. From searching this morning, It seems I'm screwed. I don't have a backup (dumb). there is no tmp file to restore. I've tried those freeware apps that claim to recover psd, but they didn't work.

I'm just reaching for any last shred of hope.

I had something similar happen to me a long while back and had to move forward using a .jpg I had posted as a WIP. I don't even know what smart objects are but it sounds like you lost a ton of work and that sucks.

I remember that sickening feeling deep in my stomach too. I feel for you and wish I had something to say that might give you a ray of hope but I don't. I do hope one of these other guys who are experts with PS know a trick or two to help you out.

If not, just know that I am standing beside you in sadness as you gaze into the chaotic fires that destroyed your hard work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

All I can do it add my commiserations as well. It's soul destroying when that happens - it's happened to me a few times. I know it's closing the stable door, but nowadays I do incremental saves for just this reason.

Oooh, sometimes I hate Photoshop! There is a vanishingly small chance it will work, but you might try opening it in the Gimp to see if anything can be recovered. Looking at the file statistics, though, I'm guessing not.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

I think it's hosed in every sense. And I did not have any wip threads, i had no older saves, just 1 file. But yeah, it's a sickening feeling deep in my stomach. At the very least, it was practice.

The reason I didn't save more often, was because the file was so large, and each save was like 4 or 5 minutes. Interrupted the flow too much. But man, did I learn my lesson.

I'm still open to any/all suggestions. I may try the Gimp thing also - but i have little hope for that.

Xara, my preferred app has crashed before, even as I was saving a file. So I also do incremental saves of all map files on a regular basis. Sometimes I've forgotten then a crash occurs and the file is lost or corrupted. Xara doesn't do this a lot, but it does happen. Sorry for your troubles, wish I could offer some better advice to help you right now, but I don't.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I know it doesn't help much now, but you might turn off the option in your save dialogue that creates a preview. That feature seems to take up a lot of time when I save complex files.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Flaming poo on a stick, that sucks! Sorry to here about your loss, I'm feeling sympathy pains right now.

Condolences,
    -Arsheesh

I know very well how you feel right now and I feel with you. This happened to me long time ago with one of my very first maps and I was near a collapse. Since then I always safe as often as I can, even if the process takes 10 minutes or longer. And each map has two or three backup files. That is what I've learned from photoshop: don't trust it.

Q

sorry, no advice here as well, just sympathies... it sucks man. Happened to all of us I see (including me) and indeed incremental saves (even if they take 10 minutes) are worth every minute of their time. PS doesn't have an autosave option as far as I know, which they should have for that kind of money.... cheers, DJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast