Thread: Trying some color...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Trying some color...

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I began trying to draw maps on comuter (before, I only drew maps by hand with a carbon pencil, which was quite subobtimal for duplicating and conserving maps). So far, I was completely unable to get a satisfying handdrawn style, I always had some problemsof pixels, shade, etc...

And last night, I told myself, why don't you try some color, semi-realist map, for a change (in general, I hate colors, for drawing or mapping). So I tried. Here's the result, please give me some feedback. I made intensive use of all the marvelous tutorials on this beautiful website, so thank you all tutorial makers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.pdf 
Views:	157 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	36621

There's many things I'm not satisfied with, but the result is above my expectations for a single day work, with a new style. I think I'll begin making more color maps.

Wait... it's actually the first computer-drawn map that I actually finished (meaning, went as far as putting names on it). Whooo!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks mostly like the Tear-Saderan style and, as Ravs said, the mtns need a bit of work to make them more mountainy looking but not bad, man. Keep pluggin away at it and you'll become addicted like the rest of us.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love the colours. Very sweet. I'd love to comission you to make your own version of the map for my book, just to see how it looks in your style xD
    Great job!
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Whoa!

Aenigma, that's very kind of you. Sorry for not replying sooner, I was quite busy (some unpredicted event...). I'm afraid though that I won't have the time to take on such job... And honestly, I think that I need still a lot of work before getting a decent map.

For the comments about mountains, yes, that's the biggest problem, and I can't get a decent heightmap for the embossing. Until I find a way, I fear this style is not for me.

Anyhow, thanks!