Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Map Borders in GIMP

That turned out great JefBT! Glad you found the tutorials useful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Really useful, thanks!

Arsheesh,

I just love the coastlines you used in your map used in this tutorial. Any chance of a few pointers on how to replicate those coastlines? I'm tired of drawing random squiggly lines to make a half-decent coastline.

Thanks!!!

Sorry to necro this thread but I've just gone through the tutorial and it's excellent. I'm sure there are many who would find this helpful as well. I currently work in PS but it seems that I should be able to replicate these steps.

These are the kinds of techniques which I currently lack in my repertoire and will undoubtedly help tighten my maps. Thanks so much for this!

Guild Novice

I know this thread and tutorial are old. I was following through step-by-step and doing great until the part that said to go to the Script-FU menu.... only I don't have a menu that is script FU. I found a submenu on Filters>Script-Fu but there was no bevel-and-emboss. And there was a Filter>Decor>Bevel option, but that was far simpler than the tutorial. I think I must have too new a version of GIMP? I only just downloaded it ten days ago or so. It's a fabulous tutorial though. I'm going to try to work through the missing menu and see what I can get.

Default Bevel and Emboss script

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lithia View Post
    I know this thread and tutorial are old. I was following through step-by-step and doing great until the part that said to go to the Script-FU menu....
    The Script-FU menu item was renamed "Filters" back in version 2.6.4 or there abouts.

BUT, what you really want is the 'Bevel and Emboss" filter, which is part of the Layer Effects script package (see first page of the tutorial for downloading instructions).

Those scripts are located in the Layer menu near the bottom. i.e. Layers > Layer Effects > Bevel and Emboss..
    Last edited by bkh1914; 02-05-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    The Script-FU menu item was renamed "Filters" back in version 2.6.4 or there abouts.

BUT, what you really want is the 'Bevel and Emboss" filter, which is part of the Layer Effects script package (see first page of the tutorial for downloading instructions).

Those scripts are located in the Layer menu near the bottom. i.e. Layers > Layer Effects > Bevel and Emboss..
    Thank you so very much for your response. I'm loving learning here. and this tutorial is truly a marvel of instruction (and I'm a teacher!). I'll do what I can to follow fully.

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply, I've been away for a spell. Just wanted to thank bkh1914 for the assist. Yes, this tutorial was written for an older version of GIMP and bk correctly pointed out where to find the new Bevel & Emboss filter. Also, thanks for the kind words Lady Lithia (and others I've not responded to), glad that his tutorial is of use to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234