Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June/July Lite Challenge: Free for all ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** June/July Lite Challenge: Free for all ***

This month it's a free for all in the lite challenge! (and apologies for the late launch of this month's lite challenge. Guilty as charged)

The challenge is to take this silhouette and turn it into any kind of map you can imagine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junjul.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	36646

It can be an island chain, the outline of an large structure of dark matter holding together a stream of galaxies or a region of poisinous fungus suffusing a dungeon cavern. Just make sure that the shape is clearly visible and recognisable in the map, and that it represents a key element of the map.

Each entry should be posted in a new thread, with June/July Challenge Entry: <name of entry> in the title. Each work in progress thumbnail should be preceded by ### Latest WIP ### to make sure the thumbs are picked up by the thumbnailer script.

The contest will end on the 15th of July.

The winner will receive honour, glory, a silver lite challenge medal and a $40 Profantasy gift voucher.

Last edited by torstan; 06-21-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Can we edit it a bit but keep the same overall silhouette?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oof..here we go again.... Of course I'm going to enter but I really need to get outside of the box on this...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yep, as ever ultimately the agreement with the rules is judged by the voters, but if I can't see the shape as a major element in your map it might get disqualified. Obviously there's a grey area on how much modification you can get away with.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ugh.. No way I can enter this. I can barely drum up the motivation to work on the commission I just took. Mapping Mojo...Disengage...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I am contemplating entering, even though it's totally not my style. *shrug* We shall see what this week brings.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Lots of entries this month. The contest will close on the 15th at midday EST (or thereabouts). Make sure you get your final edits done on time!

Wow, there are a lot of entries...what's the math on the number of votes we get again?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yes, there will be three votes each for this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast