Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Butcher, The Baker, and that Other Guy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default The Butcher, The Baker, and that Other Guy

I wanted to finish this up while I had some time to do so. I came up with names for towns - took the easy way out and picked musical terms that most folks don't really know too well. Naming the terrain features was also fairly simple as I used a translator (Babylon 9) and once I decided to name my desert "The Bakery" I then decided to name my volcanoes "The Candles"...all I needed was a butcher and I had my title so the forest became "The Forest of Butchery". I know my translations are technically incorrect but I didn't have enough space to cram all that text in that some of the languages require so I took some shortcuts. The languages are Swedish, Irish, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Turkish. The parchment was one of CoyoteMax's that I tweaked out the bright areas. I am bad at drawing ships so I used the Ships n Boats font for those. The only other font on the whole thing is Bouwsma Uncial and since it doesn't have any numbers I had to use Roman numerals for the scale (0, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250). So the parchment, font, and ships are not mine but the drawing and painting are. I wanted to do something nice for the title text but I am also really bad at designing swirlies and swashes; that's also why I didn't do a proper cartouche. The rhumblines, shrug, just something I threw in instead of doing a compass. The color scheme might seem odd but I wanted to use a 19th century palette like they use in the old "bird's eye" style of city maps. It was mainly for practice and learning how to set my layers up a little better (which I failed at miserably ending up with over 100 again because each little icon has 3 layers with it, 4 with text). This version is scaled down to 66% and quality reduced from 12 to 9 to fit the forum limits. The original is 22 x 18 (6600 x 5100) and full quality jpg is 28 megs.

What I learned: work on a smaller canvas when just practicing because it may turn into something huge

What I still need to work on: using less layers, learn to draw boats and swirlies and cartouches, make it all "less busy" which should be easier if working on a smaller canvas.

~A~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butcher-Baker.jpg 
Views:	5744 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	36676  
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great map, full of detail!

This is impressive work A! My hat is off to you sir!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Dude, that is awesome. I love how it looks.

I feel you on the making things too big for experimentation - I recently dealt with continuous crashes and slow motion while attempting one of these. In the end I was so frustrated and lost as much work as I accomplished. The lesson I learned was the same as your's, go smaller for experimentation.

At least yours turned out so sweet.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

WOW!....simply just wow!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ascension you never cease to amaze me. Very Nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I LOVE this map. Fantastic old world feel, muted colors and excellent design... it actually reminds me of the Medici maps that i saw when i was in Florence. This is truly an inspiring piece of cartography, you never cease to amaze me with your skills! The only thing i find not as fitting for such an individual unique piece such as this, is the repeat use of some of your glyph designs, such as the mine symbol, or the temple things in the mountains. If you could just make them all look slightly different i think it would complete this epic piece. Just my 2 cents of course

~Jared

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maps like this make me realize that I have no business in this hobby. Truly Awesome !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Maps like this make me realize that I have no business in this hobby. Truly Awesome !!
    I can relate to this statement. I can't even hand draw on paper. But I will keep trying and eventually post something up for you all to crit.

A. You are a true inspiration. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast