Thread: Create Black and White fantasy maps with PS

Wip Create Black and White fantasy maps with PS

Hello folks!

Oldtime lurker here, amazed and impressed by all the nice things you have created!

I have an old fantasy RPG campaign going on (we started 1994), and now it's time to freshen up the maps. An earlier try was made ten years ago, but I feel I want more "dark" and more detailed maps.

I'm aiming to create them in grayscale/black and white at first, and eventually in color.

I have uploaded some samples here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...p?albumid=3001

The picture text describes my thinking about this. You are very welcome to leave your criticism, wether good or bad.

Some straight on questions (and here I'm referring to the Lingha Black and White map):
    - Instead of painting thousand of trees by hand, how should I do this in Photoshop? I know there's a pattern tool, but I'm not sure that it's doable without making the map too computerized.
    - Do you have any nice examples of black and white towns in various sizes?
    - Is the coastline good as is, or should I alter it?

The map is of course not finished. Text, towns, rivers and roads is to come.

Any input appreciated.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.6 with Photoshop CS5.
    Last edited by carlsson; 06-23-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Fixed some errors

Those are some nice pics you got there Carlson. Welcome to the Guild man. To have a campaign that spans nearly 2 decades is indeed quite an accomplishment. I'm not the best one to answer your questions, but just wanted to say a quick hello and welcome you aboard.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks!

- Instead of painting thousand of trees by hand, how should I do this in Photoshop? I know there's a pattern tool, but I'm not sure that it's doable without making the map too computerized.
    Shame you're on a mac. One of our members has created a program which does just this (the member is Ramah, the program is 'the tree thing') but I think it's Windows only.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Shame you're on a mac. One of our members has created a program which does just this (the member is Ramah, the program is 'the tree thing') but I think it's Windows only.
    Nope,
    It's Java based so it does work also on Mac.
    I know it because I'm also on Mac

This program is indeed fantastic

I have played with Photoshop a bit, and it is possible to create a nice looking forest with the help of an own-defined brush and adjusting tilting/size etc on the Brush Palette.

However; This have one major drawback: You cannot create a brush and maintaining other colors than black and white. Or could you? If so, how?

The attachment:
    The bottom forest should have white fills, but I am not able to create that with a custom brush...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You have to use the clone stamp tool - there's a tutorial on it somewhere in that section of the forum that explains it all in depth. Here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You have to use the clone stamp tool - there's a tutorial on it somewhere in that section of the forum that explains it all in depth. Here.
    Thanks!

I was actually looking at the clone stamp tool, but I couldn't find settings for tilting/resizing etc. That is one major drawback, but probably good enough!