Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Máisandras City Map - WIP

Guild Applicant

Wow! I love this one, looks really "Great".nice work.....

Well drafted. cant wait to see it done.
    Who is John Galt?

Slum courtyards & gardens? Naaah, those are back alleys full of shady characters, urban pigsties, the Knacker's Meatmarket, backyard distilleries, tinsmiths, and doghair-rug merchants.

Delightful map!

Guild Novice

Just... wow!

The finished work is gonna be amazing!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

So, I've finally taken the time to finish colouring my map. Now it's just a matter of touching up and adding the labels (not sure how, just yet).
    I don't really know which of these looks best. The first image is the 'original', which I think looks just a bit to garish and comic-y. In the second one, I reduced the saturation. In the last two, I've applied a sepia adjustment layer, and reduced its opacity by about 50%. The final image is the same except for a slightly darker tone.

Which one do you prefer? I'm having a hard time chosing.
    If someone sees a completely different way of making this look good: I'm open to suggestions!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisandrasWIP6fullsat.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	39014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisandrasWIP6old.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	39015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisandrasWIP6sepia.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	39016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisandrasWIP6sepia2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	39017

By the way: the words to the right can be ignored. I was just playing around with something. It isn't going to be in the final 'product'.

Prefer third, then second, then first, but only by a slight margin. This is really nice! I like the mottled/ blobby tinting instead of flood-fill -- I've spent a day staring at old atlas maps that were hand-tinted, and your effect is about right. Though I'd guess there'd be more often doubled-up darkening than gapped missing-color spaces. I'd suggest you vary the edges with some pointed brushstrokes as well - not all would have been nice round blobs of color. Actually, you could maybe improve the effect even more if you 'colored outside the lines' in a couple more places. What I saw in a bunch of 1800s maps from pretty upscale atlases was that the colorists got really, really sloppy sometimes.

Your indecision about the best colors -- maybe you can decide just how old your map is. How old for the imagined viewer or user, not for us. If it's a 1795-equivalent product, and "today's date" is 1798-equivalent, that more vibrant first one is entirely appropriate. Hey, colorists would have used the prettiest, most colorful inks and watercolors available! If the map is from 50 or a hundred "years ago" then the duller colors of #2 or #3 would be great.
    Last edited by jbgibson; 10-07-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: can't spell...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

4, 3, 2, 1 to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

4 For me, btw nice work!

Thanks, folks
    I myself liked 3 and 4 best. I've gone with #3 in the end.

@jbgibson: that's some really good advice. Thank you very much! I didn't really see all the white areas at first; it depends on the angle of my screen. I've done some smudging and blending to get rid of those, as well as the obvious examples of those "nice round blobs". The ones I could find anyway I'll remember the tip about the brush tip shape for next time.

Never really thought about how old the map is supposed to look. I suppose the "old map map, newly drawn" is what I'd go for, now I have given it some thought, though. I'm considering adding labels in the conlang of that country, instead of in English, for that reason. As for the brightness/saturation of the colours: I still really prefer them slightly subdued. Perhaps I can justify that by saying that just the original cartographer's style

Okay, well.... Change of plans. I'm going with old. I found a really nice old paper image on the Guild's DeviantArt group and used that as the background. Suddenly the colours looked just the way I like them. Now for the writing.

Stock paper by GeneralVyse on DA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisandras_fc2.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	39189

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast