Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Máisandras City Map - WIP

I love how the map actually screams "hand made" ... but I wonder how it would look if you desaturated the paper texture a bit. It's a bit overpowering for my taste, since all the colours are so pale and subtle.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected wynn's Avatar

Love the subtly colors, and great design! I agree that the paper texture might need to be toned down just a tad though

The map looks really great. I like the colours, the layout, I really like it all a lot. I think it looks a bit like a real old map from a history book :-)
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I love how the map actually screams "hand made" ... but I wonder how it would look if you desaturated the paper texture a bit. It's a bit overpowering for my taste, since all the colours are so pale and subtle.
    Good advice, thanks. I've left it alone for a few days, and now it does seem a bit too much. I've tried simply reducing the saturation/opacity/fill, just fiddling to see what happens, but the end result is never quite right. When the edges look good, the center of the map becomes too bland again. This is due to the fact that the background drawing is a picture of the original drawing and not a scan. The edges are just slightly darker than the center and this affects the way the colours of the various layers interact. I'm going to try to apply some sort of layer mask and gently paint the areas where I feel the saturation is too high and hope that works. I suck at masks, though. I haven't used them very often yet, and keep forgetting how they work

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Heh, I know about masks ... I keep opening up tutorials and scratching my head every time I work with masks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234