Thread: All in all, it's just another brick in the wall [GIMP script]

Info All in all, it's just another brick in the wall [GIMP script]

I've posted this script on the GIMP registry site, and it seems to have gone over well there. I made quite a few changes to the script thanks to some wonderful recommendations there, so I'll post it here as well.

It's a script that will create a brick wall of just about any size. The bricks and mortar can be any color you want. The bricks can be any height and width, and the layer mode can be set to anything. Normal (brickwall) and Overlay (goldwall) produced the two examples in this post. The mortar can be beveled or not. It's a fairly powerful script, but I'm always willing to make some additions.

One person had it freeze up on them one of the gimp-selection-none commands in the script, but I have not been able to replicate that error. Extra bonus points to someone who can, and help me track down why.

The script itself will show up under Filters/SambrookJM, but this can be changed by editing the last line in the script to place it wherever you want it to go in your menu hierarchy. Enjoy!

JMS-Bricks.zip

Brickwall.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brickwall.jpg 
Views:	11243 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	33656

Goldwall.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldwall.jpg 
Views:	16267 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	33657
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't use GIMP, but neat ... thanks for posting
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Cool. I loves me some GIMP script
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice, I'll have to add this one. Thanks for the post and making of the script! Repworthy imo
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Cobble stooooooones!!!!!
    Have some Rep

I haven't tried it yet (will at home) but can you grunge up the edges of the bricks?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

We Don't Need your Education! We don't Need Your Thought Control!

but it is a nice script for the GIMP users
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Cobble stooooooones!!!!!
    Have some Rep

I haven't tried it yet (will at home) but can you grunge up the edges of the bricks?
    Thanks!

Interesting thought on grunging up the edges. Maybe an option for an elliptical selection to make it more stony like? Or distressing the selection of each brick? Hmmm...I may have to muck around with this.

On another note, how do I submit a bug report to the GIMP folks? There's a problem with the script because some versions of Linux Gimp don't like any (rand X) command, where X is something larger than 3000000000. It took a while to find this out, but this was the problem that several folks over at GIMP Plugin Registry were having with this (and one of my other scripts as well.) The same (rand X) commands works on Windows...even 32-bit versions.
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...