Thread: Talk about weird cartography...

Default Talk about weird cartography...

Anyone planning on mapping a 'flat earth' style map? Here is a really creative antique map:

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah that one is... original. The sad part is the date.

The only really unusual maps I contemplated were ringworlds, those are really straight forward - you just have way too much territory to cover, even at the small sizes I was working with (Banks Orbitals with ~1100 times the Earth's surface area).

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    The only really unusual maps I contemplated were ringworlds, those are really straight forward - you just have way too much territory to cover, even at the small sizes I was working with (Banks Orbitals with ~1100 times the Earth's surface area).
    Hehe. How about a 1 AU Dyson shell. ~550 million times the Earth's surface area.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks sort of like an anti-donut or the opposite of what some cosmographers see the universe as (all edges wrap around forming a donut). Kind of cool idea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Reminds me a bit of a roulette wheel...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Obviously made by someone who hadn't ever travelled below the Equator, although still pretty inventive. Or else those poor penguins do a LOT of waddling.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of digging on this one because I just couldn't believe that it wasn't a joke. Not only is it not a joke, but there are still people who believe in a flat Earth! http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
    How scary is that?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Out of curiosity, I did a bit of digging on this one because I just couldn't believe that it wasn't a joke. Not only is it not a joke, but there are still people who believe in a flat Earth! http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/
    How scary is that?
    No more scary than Germ Theory denialists, Creationists, Lamarkians, Geocentrists, Homeopaths, or the Anti-Vaccine movement.