Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July Lite Challenge Entry: The Life Beneath

Map June/July Lite Challenge Entry: The Life Beneath

Looking at that starter image, what came to mind was those side-view maps of dungeons (I saw a name for them somewhere recently, but can't remember now what it was). I tried briefly to re-image it as a side view of some clouds, with sky beings living upon them, but couldn't make it stick, so we're going back underground. Currently it's all being done in PS, although I imagine I will probably run it through Inkscape at the end for some labels, since you mortals insist on having your maps labelled for you.

Just a quick description of the work, this is a side-map of a series of caverns. All of them are inhabited by some sort of underground denizens, although at this point I'm not entirely sure what. Could be dwarves, drow, slime creatures, Cthulhoids, insects, or any or all of the above.

The red lines indicate constructed tunnels that connect the different caverns. Figuring out how to add light sources is what I'm working on right now. After that will be showing buildings and bridges and water.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JunJul_1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	36725
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

I think this will be a decent effect for the lighting, but I need to decide on a scale for the map. If these are single lights, they're either really flipping big, or the caverns aren't that large. If they represent entire communities then the caverns are extremely large.

Decisions, decisions.....

## Latest WIP ###

Name:	JunJul_2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	36727

Oh, and yes, right now the image is very dark. With lights only partially done, it's pretty much inevitable. Either I don't worry about lighting (as in map #1), or it has to be in full effect, which means that it's really dark without a full light suite in place. It is a bunch of caverns, after all. Not a lot of natural lighting down there... Although that does remind me...

Note to self: Figure out how to do luminescent mold and put some on some walls.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 06-27-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Or... I could use PS's Lighting Effects filter, which I know nothing about...

More decisions!

------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat idea, looking forward to seeing what you come up with...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It's occurred to me that I don't know that I can do my original idea justice. Then it occurred to me that a map does not have to show an inhabited area. A map of a cavern system of an inactive volcano might be just as valid. And, as an added bonus, I don't have to label it!!!

I'll have to think about this for a while though, see what I might want to do to improve it further.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	JunJul_3.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	514.0 KB 
ID:	36749

------

cool idea there.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

On a semi-random note, I was wondering what I should do with my old challenge entries. Should I leave them in the Challenge Archive folders, or should I post new folders with them in the Finished Projects section? I've seen a few folks re-post it in Finished, but not everyone.

------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't waste server space with posting up new threads with the same image in them. Instead I just use the links in my sig. Of course, I think that I use the most server space anyway so this problem only really applies to me and a handful of others. You could create link thingies like mine for every subforum here at The Guild but then your sig gets full of stuff and most folks don't look at 'em anyway. But it helps to keep your stuff organized and it's easier to post links than lots of images.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I don't waste server space with posting up new threads with the same image in them.
    It doesn't require an additional upload, you can just re-use an attachment in a new post.

Is this level of participation normal, or is it that everyone is participating just because I am? I mean, I know I'm one of the cool popular kids, but this seems a bit overkill.

------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast