Thread: Antique-Style Unnamed Map

Wip Antique-Style Unnamed Map

This is my first try on mapping with softwares. I'm on the 12th step of Candaci's Antique-Style Map in GIMP, and there are still citys and names to decide and place. Also, I've found a few errors. The one I noticed the most is where the borders meet, there seems to be a blank stripe between them. So, say whatever you need to say, I'm here to be criticised (and if you don't mind, you could say some good things too ) Oh, and the map/continent/countries/empires/kingdoms are all random, so I stiil haven't decided name and/or stories.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	36710
    And Yes, I still have to create an Avatar LOL

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

To avoid the blank strip you need to keep the original black lines that you drew out for the countries (if it's in this adaptation of my PS tut). Of course since those lines go out into the ocean you will need to mask them off or erase the parts to go out there. If you want your country colors to butt up against each other then draw "blobs" of color on different layers and erase where they overlap.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, some criticisms about your kingdom shapes.
    The biggest one is that they don't make a lot of military sense. Medieval empires tend to be defined by landforms like Rivers, Mountains, Pinches-of-peninsulas, etc. So the borders of your kingdoms should probably reflect this tendency.

For example:
    Green in the top left would run along the river probably until that major feeder-river that heads north (and has 1 other feeder into it).
    Cyan would probably be bordered by the mountains, the river in the west and either the north end or south end of the mountain range.
    Dark teal would either controll all the mountains or none of them and probably everything to the east.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store